Vessel with largest tonnage record???

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
hayhugh

Re: Vessel with largest tonnage record???

Unread post by hayhugh »

I honestly believe that the Cort, if totaled up, would hold the world record for total tonnage carried...

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: August 28, 2023, 5:00 pm It would be very difficult to exactly calculate how much cargo the Anderson, Callaway, Clarke and Munson individually have carried to date unless you go through all the trip logs from when they first started to sail to today. Don't forget, that these four vessels also operated in the Winter Runs starting in 1967, with year-round navigation through the locks at the Soo during 1974-75, 1975-76, 1977-78, 1978-79 (the Winter of 1976-77, due to severe ice conditions resulted in all four vessels laying up in late January 1977, then returning to service on March 15, 1977).

I have a christening booklet for the Edgar B. Speer. It lists the annual gross capacity of several vessels: Edwin H. Gott - 3.19 million tons; Roger Blough - 2.35 million tons; AAA - 1.35 million tons and Supers: 900,000 tons.
Actually the companies track how much each vessel carries very closely and has all the annual tonnage hauled for every vessel, along with delays, break downs, ect...

Unread post by Guest »

It would be very difficult to exactly calculate how much cargo the Anderson, Callaway, Clarke and Munson individually have carried to date unless you go through all the trip logs from when they first started to sail to today. Don't forget, that these four vessels also operated in the Winter Runs starting in 1967, with year-round navigation through the locks at the Soo during 1974-75, 1975-76, 1977-78, 1978-79 (the Winter of 1976-77, due to severe ice conditions resulted in all four vessels laying up in late January 1977, then returning to service on March 15, 1977).

I have a christening booklet for the Edgar B. Speer. It lists the annual gross capacity of several vessels: Edwin H. Gott - 3.19 million tons; Roger Blough - 2.35 million tons; AAA - 1.35 million tons and Supers: 900,000 tons.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: August 27, 2023, 3:12 pm Trip length makes a big difference. A river boat class running 2 shuttles a day will haul more tonnage than a thousand footer running between Lake Superior and Lake Erie. Back hauls make the smaller boats profitable.
Good point! I seem to recall that during some years during the 1970s, Oglebay Norton's Sylvania was one of its top cargo haulers while on the Toledo to Detroit coal run despite being one of the fleet's smallest and oldest ships. I believe a similar situation existed with the fleet's W. W. Holloway when it was committed to coal runs out of South Chicago to points on Lake Michigan during the same period.

Unread post by Guest »

Trip length makes a big difference. A river boat class running 2 shuttles a day will haul more tonnage than a thousand footer running between Lake Superior and Lake Erie. Back hauls make the smaller boats profitable.
hayhugh

Unread post by hayhugh »

Whichever would also be the world record holder for most tonnage ever carried by one vessel....
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The Clarke, Anderson, Callaway and Munson all were built in 1952 I believe it was thus they’ve been around longer than the Cort has which entered service in 1972. As far as which has carried more tonnage up to this date? I would guess maybe the Cort due to the fact that she can carry much more between 50-60,000 tons in a single trip give or take whereas the Anderson, Clarke, Callaway and Munson probably are around 25,000 tons or so a trip give or take. Before their lengthening and self-unloaderbconversions, I don’t know how many tons the four from GLF could carry back then? Hope that this info has helped.
hayhugh

Vessel with largest tonnage record???

Unread post by hayhugh »

Years in service and Capacity of vessel - Which of the following: Cort, Clark, Anderson, Calaway or Munson would have carried the most tonnage up to this date?