Algoma Transport

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
ashland69

Re: Algoma Transport

Unread post by ashland69 »

Mr Link wrote: September 7, 2023, 2:39 pm Per one of Denny's posts earlier in this thread, It was apparently coal loaded at Thunder Bay. The coke batteries on Zug Island are still active.
I read that, too, Mr. Link. Thanks for the memory jogger. Now it makes sense. And, yes, they'd have to clean out the holds to take on grain.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Per one of Denny's posts earlier in this thread, It was apparently coal loaded at Thunder Bay. The coke batteries on Zug Island are still active.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: September 6, 2023, 10:29 pm Ore is no longer unloaded at zug island. Furnaces are cold. Iron making was shut down.
I didn't know for sure that Zug Island had closed down. Even though I was born and raised in the Windsor-Detroit area and started watching the lakeboats back in 1959, I moved away for good (1978) and quite literally lost touch with all that went on in the area. That said, what would the Algoma Transport have unloaded at the mouth of the Rouge on Zug Island? A stone product? I would imagine she'd still have to clean out her holds before taking on grain. Thanks for the correction.

Unread post by Guest »

Ore is no longer unloaded at zug island. Furnaces are cold. Iron making was shut down.
ashland69

guest wrote: September 5, 2023, 3:19 pm When she left upbound saturday she went to wash out her cargo holds.heard it on my scanner.
Makes sense to me! If she unloaded ore at Zug Island, her holds will need to be cleaned before taking on grain.
badger

Unread post by badger »

makes sense to wash out the cargo holds on the lake as they loaded grain from the elevator in sarnia on sunday.

Unread post by guest »

When she left upbound saturday she went to wash out her cargo holds.heard it on my scanner.

Unread post by Guest »

guest wrote: September 4, 2023, 3:13 pm when she went up bound into lake huron she probably did this to turn around and head back to zug island. remember when the renvoyle turned in the river and not going out on the lake to safely turn and proceed downbound. it was the end of her career
The portion of the river where the Renvoyle attempted to turn around was much nearer to the Blue Water Bridge, where the St. Clair River is much narrower and much closer to where the waters of Lake Huron flow into the river. Where the Sylvania was docked at Peerless was just south of the Blue Water Bridge, about where the Thomas Edison Inn is today. Although I have watched the ships on the St. Clair River for several decades, I cannot remember seeing a ship leave the area of the Sarnia Elevator and proceed upbound to turn around in Lake Huron before continuing downbound. I'm not saying this doesn't happen, just that I have not witnessed it. I do, however, recall seeing the Canadian Ambassador leave the Government Dock and turn downbound on the St. Clair River while at the Fogcutter Restuarant at one point in the early 1980s.

Unread post by Guest »

I think the Canadian Transport's survey is good for a couple more seasons if I recall correctly. So she might stick around in reserve in case demand justifies bringing her out.
ashland69

guest wrote: September 4, 2023, 3:13 pm when she went up bound into lake huron she probably did this to turn around and head back to zug island. remember when the renvoyle turned in the river and not going out on the lake to safely turn and proceed downbound. it was the end of her career
Good point, guest. But she was almost as far north as Goderich when I saw her on Marine Traffic. I'm wondering if she wasn't testing something and breaking it in.

Unread post by guest »

when she went up bound into lake huron she probably did this to turn around and head back to zug island. remember when the renvoyle turned in the river and not going out on the lake to safely turn and proceed downbound. it was the end of her career
ashland69

ashland69 wrote: September 3, 2023, 2:50 pm Actually, it left Sarnia mid-afternoon Sept 2 and headed upbound on Lake Huron toward Goderich. Today, Sunday the 3rd, it's down at the mouth of the Rouge River.
Arriving back in Sarnia morning of the 4th from Zug Island, Detroit. This time, going to the grain dock. Should be tied up roughly 530am. I suspect she was unloading in Detroit, in the first place. Had some breakdown. Went to Sarnia for repairs and returned to Detroit to finish her offload. Now, I'm thinking she's loading for a lower lakes or Seaway port. Just a thot. Comments?
ashland69

Actually, it left Sarnia mid-afternoon Sept 2 and headed upbound on Lake Huron toward Goderich. Today, Sunday the 3rd, it's down at the mouth of the Rouge River.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I saw earlier today as of September 2, 2023 that the Algoma Transport departed from the Government Dock in Sarnia and headed downbound. That’s all the information that I know on them at this time.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

To answer your questions, first indeed True that the Algoma Transport will be headed for scrapping at the end of this season! She is to be replaced by a new 740 foot long vessel known as the Algoma Bear which is currently being built in China. The Algoma Bear is expected to arrive here sometime next year 2024 thus taking over the Algoma Transport. There was news and an update posted here on the progress and the building of the new Algoma Bear sometime ago but, I don’t know where and how to find that information? Don’t know why she’s been up in Sarnia? She delivered coal to Zug Island in Detroit just a few days ago from Thunder Bay. Maybe she’s there for some sort of repairs? Her AIS had her listed as Detroit with an ETA of August 31st in the evening. That’s all I know on her for now though. Hope this informations helps you out.
ashland69

Algoma Transport

I recently heard that the Algoma Transport is going for scrap at the end of this season. True? Also, she's been tied up in Sarnia for a few days now. Why? Many thanks.