George M Humhpry

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jared

Re: George M Humhpry

Unread post by Jared »

Jon Paul wrote: September 13, 2023, 8:31 am
Jared wrote: September 11, 2023, 5:03 pm
Guest wrote: September 11, 2023, 3:52 pmIce damage?
This more likely the cause than not. She was also in the middle of a shipping lane though I see no reports of other vessel's hitting the wreck. She was also sitting on her side on the bottom and had been righted by the salvage team.
The Humphrey sank uprite not on it side and the pilot house was only 15' below the surface as well as the stack. The heavy currents in the Straits stripped away paint and that along with the usual winter ice helped destroy the upper portions of the ship. Luckily the wreck was well marked and slightly out of the most direct shipping lanes and of course once salvage commenced in the Spring it was obvious where it was on the bottom.
You are correct, the one account I saw said that she was mostly on her side but probably mixed her up with the Cedarville. I just read Steel on the Bottom and the Scanner and it gave a detailed description of the salvage.
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

Jared wrote: September 11, 2023, 5:03 pm
This more likely the cause than not. She was also in the middle of a shipping lane though I see no reports of other vessel's hitting the wreck. She was also sitting on her side on the bottom and had been righted by the salvage team.
The Humphrey sank uprite not on it side and the pilot house was only 15' below the surface as well as the stack. The heavy currents in the Straits stripped away paint and that along with the usual winter ice helped destroy the upper portions of the ship. Luckily the wreck was well marked and slightly out of the most direct shipping lanes and of course once salvage commenced in the Spring it was obvious where it was on the bottom.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

Unread post by Guest »

Ice damage?
E J B

George M Humhpry

Unread post by E J B »

How did the pilot house get damaged--very much looks crushed from the top pushed down......