Wilfred Sykes

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Shipwatcher1

Re: Wilfred Sykes

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

Threads are often hijacked with another subject thrown into the mix. Instead of starting a different post about the coal movement, it was just tacked onto the Sykes thread.

Unread post by Guest »

Denny had mentioned the Kaye E. Barker having a destination of Escanaba. He did say it was off-topic, but another poster replied about the coal being trucked down from Marquette and being loaded for Green Bay. That's where the confusion comes in and why it's important for everyone to stay on-topic, so we don't have this type of confusion in a thread.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: September 22, 2023, 6:07 am This is even more confusing. Where was there any mention of the Barker?
Denny's post responding not knowing what the Sykes was doing.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: September 22, 2023, 6:07 am
Guest wrote: September 21, 2023, 10:49 am
Guest wrote: September 21, 2023, 3:33 am The Sykes was in Sturgeon Bay for a damaged propeller blade. That's also the reason we were doing all sorts of ballasting. As to hauling coal...Great Laker, I don't know what you're drinking but I'd love a shot of it!! This thing hasn't hauled coal
Things got confused because the original post asked about the Sykes going to Sturgeon Bay, AND, the Kaye Barker going to Escanaba. It's the Barker that was loading coal to take to Green Bay, and that wasn't really specified in the answer.
This is even more confusing. Where was there any mention of the Barker?
The post from Denny mentioned the Kaye Barker.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: September 22, 2023, 6:07 am
Guest wrote: September 21, 2023, 3:33 am The Sykes was in Sturgeon Bay for a damaged propeller blade. That's also the reason we were doing all sorts of ballasting. As to hauling coal...Great Laker, I don't know what you're drinking but I'd love a shot of it!! This thing hasn't hauled coal
Things got confused because the original post asked about the Sykes going to Sturgeon Bay, AND, the Kaye Barker going to Escanaba. It's the Barker that was loading coal to take to Green Bay, and that wasn't really specified in the answer.
There was a mention of it in the second post on this thread. I agree, however, that this thread has digressed from the Sykes and the Kaye E. Barker voyage into Escanaba would be better discussed in a separate thread to avoid confusion.

Unread post by Guest »

Unread post by Guest »

Any reason for the short hop from Escanaba to Green Bay? Seems that if they hauled it to Escanaba by truck or rail it would have been easier to just send it the rest of the way by land at that point. No adequate connections to the unloading dock at Green Bay or no available rolling stock? How did they load in Escanaba?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Maybe the discussion on the coal load is in reference to the Kaye E. Barker? They were in Escanaba a few days or so ago and I believe they were headed to Green Bay afterward if my information is correct?

Unread post by Guest »

Unread post by Guest »

The Sykes was in Sturgeon Bay for a damaged propeller blade. That's also the reason we were doing all sorts of ballasting. As to hauling coal...Great Laker, I don't know what you're drinking but I'd love a shot of it!! This thing hasn't hauled coal in YEARS!!
Guest_SB

Unread post by Guest_SB »

Looks like she is ballasting down by the bow...work on the rudder or prop I think.

Unread post by Guest »

GreatLaker wrote: September 20, 2023, 2:12 pm From another page: They were loading coal that was brought down by truck from Marquette. They are taking it to Green Bay.
Why truck past Green Bay to then ship to Green Bay?
Bailey

Unread post by Bailey »

This morning the Sykes was de ballasting and bleeding the steam out for an extended period of time . They are out on the face dock .
GreatLaker

Unread post by GreatLaker »

From another page: They were loading coal that was brought down by truck from Marquette. They are taking it to Green Bay.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Repairs or wondering how much the UAW strike could have on Shipping? I wonder then IF it’s possible that we could see a few of our beloved favorites headed for an early lay up? Would think anyway if the UAW strike lingers on too long and it starts to have much of an effect on the economy, maybe we could see a few ships head in for layup if there’s a lack of cargoes for some to carry. A bit off subject but, noticed recently that the Kaye Barker had their AIS listed as Escanaba not too long ago. They’re not shipping any ore from there anymore so, unless they’re headed there to unload I’m wondering if this is either repairs or maybe a lay up then? Don’t believe there’s any drydocks that she could fit into there? All of this scuttlebutt is just my ideas and suggestions only here on Jon Paul’s question and nothing more than that!
Jon Paul

Wilfred Sykes

Unread post by Jon Paul »

AIS has the Sykes headed to Sturgeon Bay. And info on what's going on?