Colonel James Schoonmaker

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jim B

Re: Colonel James Schoonmaker

Unread post by Jim B »

When the city ran the vessel they built wood platforms between the forward hatches to create a raised platform for bands, dancing etc. because they sponsored lots of events (weddings, dinners, etc.) to raise funds for the ship. They also had to open some hatches to remove displays in the hold that were not incorporated in the museums style. As a volunteer on board I have wanted to clamp up several hatches aft for realism but they are now too rusted to operate with out a lot of work. Also some of the hatches are currently not exactly aligned on the coamings to clamp properly.
Old sailor

Unread post by Old sailor »

Hatches are off because it is an unoperable ship. It isn't going anywhere. Plus having hatch clamps on is just another trip hazard for those children that like jumping on stuff.

Unread post by Guest »

Call the museum and ask the guides or go visit if you live close. They are your best source for your answer
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

I will hazard a guess that it has something to do with expansion and stress on the combing.

Colonel James Schoonmaker

Unread post by Guest »

I have a question about the hatches on the Colonel James Schoonmaker at Toledo. In a recent deck view photo posted on the news page of this site, it appears that its hatch clamps are unsecured. I looked at some pictures I took when I last visited the ship back in 2014 and they also appear to be unsecured, but when looking at slides I took in the early 1990s when it was still the Willis B. Boyer, it appears that nearly all of the clamps were engaged. Were they left unsecured when the ship was repainted? What is the reason for these hatches to not be secured? I know it is not an operational vessel but just wondering why this was done.