Wreck of the Simcoe 1880

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jared

Re: Wreck of the Simcoe 1880

Unread post by Jared »

guest wrote: November 14, 2023, 12:13 pm Thanks for the update! Has the Eclipse been found? I know she went aground in the area but I thought she was atomized on shore by the storm.
No, the Eclipse went down in deep water. I'm guessing from the one survivor's story in 2 different newspapers that she was some 8 miles off shore when she foundered.

Unread post by guest »

Thanks for the update! Has the Eclipse been found? I know she went aground in the area but I thought she was atomized on shore by the storm.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

The wreck has not been discovered yet. I took a crack at it in 2018 and 2019 with a permit. Depths were 200-360ft of water. Simcoe, Eclipse, and Salvor are in the same area.

I took what information I had known about her course and where the Emerald had seen her go down and picked up survivors and made a 2 mile wide 8 mile long grid that we searched for two weekends. Found two barges tied together but no Simcoe.

Wreck of the Simcoe 1880

Unread post by guest »

I'm trying to find out what happened to the wreck of the steamer Simcoe (previously Mary Robertson) off Manitoulin Island in Lake Huron in November 1880. After she sank with 11 of her hands there seems to be no further mention of her besides news of wreckage washing ashore. I cannot find any reference to anyone finding this wreck, nor any mention of her being salvaged. I can't find modern accounts of divers or wreck hunters finding her or even hunting for her. It seems like she sank and no one has bothered to look for her since.