Steamers

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Steamers

Unread post by Guest »

I fully expect the Alpena to become a tug barge. The remaining steel work required after the last 5 year makes it cost prohibitive.
ejawac6n

Unread post by ejawac6n »

the toronto maple leafs will win the stanley cup before that ever happens!
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

I would think the Sykes and Alpena at least would be the best candidates for conversion if the time ever came?

Unread post by Guest »

Good question. I would guess yes.

Unread post by guest »

The American Valor "Valor" seems to be missing from the list.

Unread post by Guest »

The J.A.W. Iglehart stayed in service quite a bit longer than that. Her last day in service as an active steamship was October 31, 2006.

Unread post by Guest »

Gotta be getting difficult to find senior engineers for the steam boats. Do the academies still prepare cadets for the steam exam?

Unread post by Guest »

Thanks for that post. I remembered they did lots of hull work on her but couldn’t remember when. No doubt the engine is probably worn out. Whimpy Werda kept her singing in tip top shape for years but nothing lasts forever. Was a good boat in a blow with that wide beam.

Unread post by Guest »

The J.A.W. Iglehart laid-up at Fraser Shipyard on November 13, 1992 for an extensive hull and deck steel replacement, which included new deck winches, and electrical work over the Winter of 1992-93. She re-entered service on May 3, 1993 departing Duluth for her first trip of the season.

She only operated for a couple of years afterwards.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: November 27, 2023, 8:41 am Iglehart is useful as storage/ transfer vessel for awhile.she’s actually in good shape but not needed to meet tonnage demand.
Don't let the modern appearance of the Iglehart fool ya, she has a hull and machinery older than the William A. Irvin. She was launched in 1936. Her De Laval turbine is shot, which is primarily why she was retired, but her hull is very well worn as well. She won't be coming back out even if demand for cement goes through the roof.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

guest wrote: November 27, 2023, 2:25 pm why list the blough as a steamer? it never was. and yes your correct next move will be on a tow line headed across lake erie for MRC in port colborne. surprised it hasnt happened yet.
One of the below comments asked what boats are in layup. I gave the list and the second hand rumors I had heard.

Unread post by guest »

why list the blough as a steamer? it never was. and yes your correct next move will be on a tow line headed across lake erie for MRC in port colborne. surprised it hasnt happened yet.

Unread post by Guest »

Ryerson: 🤷🏼‍♂️ who knows.my bet is no
Blough is one way voyage for scrap
Iglehart is useful as storage/ transfer vessel for awhile.she’s actually in good shape but not needed to meet tonnage demand.
The remaining 3? No.just assets on the balance sheet at scrap $ value.
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

Jared wrote: November 21, 2023, 7:35 pm Long term and possibly scrap layup remains the:

Ryerson
Sherwin
Blough
CTC 1
Ingelehart
Calloway

There's been some rumblings that Munson, McCarthy, Lee A and Anderson isn't far from the chomping block within the next two seasons but that is second hand rumor.
Munson and Lee A? Those 2 have had a considerable amount of work done to them over the last decade, including diesel engines. With the exception of the LLT repowered classics, I'd wager the diesel conversions done by Interlake and the Munson are some of the safest remaining classic boats.

Unread post by Guest »

I seriously doubt that there's been any rumblings about the Lee A. Tregurtha and the John G. Munson. Both have seen a lot of steel renewal as well as being repowered with state of the art power plants.

They're going to be two of the last classics that sail with many years of life left ahead of them, not two of the first survivors to march off to the scrapyard over the next 12-24 months. All I'll bet that they outlive most of the 70's hulls.

Unread post by Guest »

The Munson was just repowered and isn’t going anywhere.

Unread post by Guest »

Drop in cargo demand will spell end for remaining steamers except maybe Alpena. Many diesel powered older vessels as well.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

Long term and possibly scrap layup remains the:

Ryerson
Sherwin
Blough
CTC 1
Ingelehart
Calloway

There's been some rumblings that Munson, McCarthy, Lee A and Anderson isn't far from the chomping block within the next two seasons but that is second hand rumor.

Unread post by Guest »

"I've lost track of who is left. What boats are still trading and who is in lay up?

Ryerson

?????
Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Alpena had major work done on her engines after the fire, Sykes had a lot of boiler work done in the last 5 or so years, so for those two, I don't expect changes in the near future. As far as the Anderson and Clarke, a lot depends on whether CN wants to hold on to the fleet. I think now that the Blough insurance settlement is reached there may be talk of them selling the fleet again. Anyone's guess, though. A lot will depend on tonnage in the next 10 years. I'd say within 10 years, the conversation of barging the Alpena might be a thing, and the GLF ships will likely be gone unless Key Lakes buys outright from CN. The fact that the Callaway's engines are in the best shape and she's the one laid up suggests they have no desire to repower them or plan to get another 50 years out of them like Interlake did with their ships.