Cason j callaway

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Guest Jon Paul

Re: Cason j callaway

Unread post by Guest Jon Paul »

I highly doubt that Cliffs would be interested in anything GLF has to offer. As for the excess footers they always have the ability to deliver pellets at a cheaper price than smaller boats but unfortunately not the backhaul opportunities.
If Cliffs would be interested in anything my guess would be the American Spirit when or if Rand/LLT starts to divest parts of its fleet. It has basically been running Cliffs product, has the ability to load stone and can service all Cliffs docks except Dearborn.
Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I would imagine that a big question that looms on this front is what will happen to the CN-owned Great Lakes Fleet. At one time, they were trying to sell the fleet, but retained the fleet to get the insurance payout from the Blough accident. It is anyone's guess if plans are to sell the fleet after the money is collected. I know that CSL or Algoma put a bid in, but it was declined; my best guess is that it was Algoma. Key Lakes, the manager of the fleet, expressed interest in buying the fleet from CN, which would be the best-case scenario, but I am not sure if the funding would be there. Another option could be Cliffs, but I am not sure if they're all that interested.

Most American fleets are very hesitant to scrap ships because of the Jones Act. While they won't last forever, smaller ships are more versatile. I'd agree that Interlake is best positioned for the long haul, as is VanEnkevort; it could be that VanEnkevort would be interested in the Callaway as a replacement for the Thompson.

Long story short, I would imagine that some of the first ships to go will be some of the 1000 footers, particularly the McCarthy and Indiana Harbor, which have a lot less versatility. Hulls like the Callaway or the Sherwin have been held on to because there is still the chance to use the hull for some purpose. While the Callaway needs a lot of work done, it's a lot cheaper than funding a new build. Especially with an unstable economy and an unsettled world, commodities like iron could take a significant jump thanks to having to think about war.

Unread post by Guest »

Seems Callaway is going to so-called long term layup. Remember seeing the Block rust away in Esky.
I feel she will spend many years there before going to the ship breaker. Given her age, size, and condition the future is not good. I remember what great shape she was in when U.S. Steel owned it. As a straight decker, beautiful boat.
Any guesses as to which boat will go long-term next? The fleet is old and cargoes will continue to diminish. There are a few that may be close. It seems Interlake is best positioned for the long haul.
Geest

Unread post by Geest »

Never say never with old lakers, but if GLF deems the storage fees at Bay Ship too high or Bay Ship kicks out a vessel not worth getting storage fees from, there may be writing on the wall for the Calloway.
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

If you recall the Anderson spent several months in dry dock in 2019 having substantial steel work done.

Unread post by Guest »

Clarke and Anderson had extensive metal replacement recently to extend their lives. Anderson was in bad shape but they decided to fix her up. Seems maybe callaways propulsion system is maybe not good as well as needed extensive hull repairs.why do ships survive n others don’t? Same as cars that go 300,000 miles n others 70- 80,000.quality of maintenance.
Mn bob

Cason j callaway

Unread post by Mn bob »

How is it that the callaway needs so much work done on her to get back into service and the sister ships clarke and anderson are out running? All 3 of them have been used on the same trade routes hauling the same cargo for years so why is this ship in so much need of repair?