Edward L. Ryerson service return

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Edward L. Ryerson service return

Unread post by Guest »

I can’t argue that sir if you claim to have inside knowledge. Would be good to see it run. I just wouldn’t bet my last nickel it will. Would be extremely surprised if it does. There were years since it was last laid up that had much higher cargo demand that would have lent some reason to run it.now? Not so much. However none of us are privy to current thoughts by mgt.last summer was a long time ago in the corp. world. Nippons purchase of USS may have some positive change on remaining integrated mills but the trend is and will continue downward as more EAFs come online.

Unread post by Guest »

You may be correct about the Ryerson but I viewed a company document this past summer that was made available to certain individuals. It clearly showed the vessel was returning to service at that time in the near future. I read the document myself but was asked not to share the details. Though that may have changed since this past summer, the company is definitely trying to work something to return that vessel to service.

Unread post by Guest »

It’s an out of date straight deck vessel with steam power.it will not sail again no matter what was to transpire a yr ago.you’re reading too much “ positive” into the limited info from public documents. Falling cargo demand with soon excess hull capacity.fast Eddie will eventually go to the scrappers on a tow line.
ejawac6n

Unread post by ejawac6n »

years ago algoma central was in the us with american flag vessels, through SMT {US}. it was a number of years ag a short venture as it didnt last lone. interlakes had a us flag tug and barge from the east coast on the lakes. lasted a month or 2 then left for the coast. 2 different ventures that didnt pan out.

Unread post by Guest »

I agree with the valid points made by the other posters. However, the information from the letter submitted to the USCG last year by CML concerning the possible charter of the Ryerson to Algoma Central as part of a newly formed US business entity, Ryers AC, raises the possibility that the vessel could see additional service. The proposal submitted to the USCG tells us two things. One, the Ryerson is believed to have some 25+ years of service life remaining. Two, there is, or was, some serious consideration given toward a reactivation. Companies don't normally pursue, or even plan, projects of this magnitude without some definitive reason for doing so. Remember these projects can take several years to come to fruition as large corporations are often looking five years down the line. Given that, we don't know what the potential trade route or routes were being considered for this project but it has been mentioned as Algoma Steel being part of it. With the Ryerson being retained as a US flagged vessel as stated in the proposal letter, I find it odd that if it was only considered to be used for use for service with Algoma Steel it would not have to remain US flagged as it could easily operate between US and Canadian ports without restriction. Could retaining the US flag status be a way for Algoma to get a foothold in the US trade in some way? There are too many variables and rumors to know what the truth behind all of this is and as long as the upper echelons of CML and Algoma remain silent we will not know for the foreseeable future. Didn't Algoma Steel fall somewhat behind in bringing its electric arc furnace on line?

Unread post by Guest »

I say it will sit still n kept for a positive balance sheet asset.nothing more.-as coal continues to wind down n blast furnace capacity is reduced there will be sufficient hull capacity to cover anything they had planned for Ryerson.

Unread post by Guest »

She is a good looking vessel but I doubt she will sail again. The only unloading ports that can accept her as a straight decker are in Canada. She can’t compete with the carrying capacity and efficiencies of the new China built Canadian lakers.

If we are talking conversion to a self unloader I can’t see that happening either. With coal volumes continuing to decline there won’t be enough freight for the vessels currently operating. There will soon be too many 1000’ vessels as St. Clair and Monroe stop burning coal. As Algoma Steel in the Soo switches to EAF the need for coal will dry up. Rand/Lower Lakes/Grand River moves a lot of coal here. I understand most are backhauls, however, if you take away the time to load and unload the coal you have more capacity for those same vessels to carry something else. With that, there will be no need for the Rynerson’s capacity.
NorthStar1858

Edward L. Ryerson service return

Unread post by NorthStar1858 »

Will the famous Fast Eddie ever return to service? I heard lots of rumors last winter and spring, but lately, I've heard that it's on the shelf again until later this year or in 2025. What do you guys think?