Scrap Values vs Cost

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Scrap Values vs Cost

Unread post by Guest »

Asbestos is usually removed by special crews wearing PPE and then placed in (my experience) very thick plastic bags. It's then shipped to a hazardous waste landfill where it is buried.

Not cheap but not break the bank expensive.

Unread post by Guest »

You can see what the demolition prices are in the main countries that do ship demolition at this site: https://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/wp ... report.pdf

Containers ships fetch the highest price per light ton in U.S. dollars. India: $525; Bangladesh $540; Pakistan $545 and Turkey: $360.
Old Man

Unread post by Old Man »

What is the cost of disposing of asbestos and what is done with it?

Unread post by Guest »

It appears that overseas, much of the steel is cut up using torches. In North America, massive shears attached to tracked vehicles are used too.

Wonder why that is - labor costs? Surprised that using torches doesn't run into air emission issues in North America.

Unread post by Guest »

Most of the steel from scrap ships is also recycled into new here in Great Lakes. Scrap iron prices are world commodity pricing with variations in localities. Blast furnace mills mix small amounts scrap into new iron. Steel is truly a recycle commodity.

Unread post by Guest »

BrassTack here again. Thank you for your informative replies. They certainly make sense. Not all scrap has equal value, and environmental requirements on handling certain materials, (e.g. asbestos) can be costly.

(By the way, I have used the "Forgot your password" link several times to try to change or refresh my password. Upon doing so I get a message that I will receive an email with instructions to set up a new password, but no such email ever arrives.)

Thanks again.

Unread post by Guest »

As far as I know, ship owners have to pay to have their ships scrapped at MRC. The costs for environmental abatement is very high and MRC provides a service where they assume the liability of that abatement.

https://www.marinerecycling.ca/page/com ... vironment/

Scrap metal prices are less on the lakes then in the Sub-Continent such as Bangladesh and Pakistan. In those countries, the ship steel is re-rolled at mills and repurposed.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

BrassTack

Towing costs can certainly add up, but I think another element that offsets scrap value is "undesired" materials on the vessel. Asbestos is a major one, requiring specially trained and equipped crews to properly remove. Residual fuel, oils and lubricants are often not usable and cost money to dispose of. Same thing with wooden and plastic materials. They are rarely of any value and have cost money to dispose of in a landfill.
A vessel like the Norsile likely had a lot of these materials, and much less steel than a larger vessel like the Algoma Transport.

(In regards to your password not working, the off-the-shelf software that runs these boards sometimes requires users to reset your password with no notice. That can be done under the "Forgot your Password?" option on the login window/page)

Scrap Values vs Cost

Unread post by Guest »

This is BrassTack, but for some reason I have been unable to log in with my Username for about three weeks.

I have a question about selling a ship for scrap. There are many references to selling a ship to someone like MRC in Port Colbourne where the ship is to be scrapped. I assume the owner gets paid some dollar amount for the sale, and the scrapper makes money on the metals and other materials recovered. But then there is the sale of the Norisle to MRC. Boatnerd reported that the owner of the Norisle had to come up with over $700,000 to consumate the deal with MRC. I realize that the Norisle had to be towed a great distance to reach Port Colbourne. In contrast, the Algoma Transport arrived in Port Colbourne under her own power. Is that the difference? Was shipping/delivery to Port Colbourne the major reason why the municipality had to pay over $700,000 while others sell and get paid for the ship to be scrapped? I find it hard to believe that tow charges could account for that big of a difference. Can anyone shed some light on this for me.