ss badger

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: ss badger

Unread post by Guest »

Those are jobs intended for teenagers summer employment.if you check actual seaman’s jobs the pay is competitive n higher.even a starting OS deckhand is 21+ an hour plus benefits.

Unread post by Guest »

What I read was they have open positions for an AB a QMED and an engineer.that’s what’s been posted here on boatnerd. Didn’t check their website. 13$ an hour won’t bring them much help.

Unread post by Guest »

Ok I stand corrected.
RCRVRP

Unread post by RCRVRP »

I looked at the website where they posted the open positions available.
For ordinary kitchen, shore and deck jobs they are paying $13.00 an hour.
I live in a rural area of Wisconsin where wages are low compared to cities and even here I could not hire any capable help for that wage. Especially for seasonal help with no benefits.
Maybe the allure of working on a boat will attract some workers for them.
Maybe... I wish them luck.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: February 13, 2024, 7:34 pm It’s not a 71 yr old co. The vessel is 71.Robert Conrad started the passenger service in the 90s.now it’s owned by interlake SS after an accountant embezzled a couple million from the co. I’m sure interlake is on top of the situation.they’re also having difficulty with rated crew.hiring ads up. Everyone is competing for sailors with ratings now.
It was $500,000 over a 10 year period. That is not the reason the company sold to Interlake.

Unread post by Guest »

Thanks for the correction
badger

Unread post by badger »

The person who started the company in the 90s was Charles Conrad

Unread post by Guest »

It’s not a 71 yr old co. The vessel is 71.Robert Conrad started the passenger service in the 90s.now it’s owned by interlake SS after an accountant embezzled a couple million from the co. I’m sure interlake is on top of the situation.they’re also having difficulty with rated crew.hiring ads up. Everyone is competing for sailors with ratings now.
GreatLaker

Unread post by GreatLaker »

You do know they has a dock collapse last year, right? And it is being rebuilt. Opening day is up to the contractor doing the work. Lake Michigan car ferry has set a date likely based on information from the contractor. But if they're done early, great. They will open early. The Badger people are doing the best they can with an uncertain situation.

ss badger

Unread post by guest »

Sounds like LMC isn't too sure of themselves. In former years she started operating around may 20th. People cant make plans if they don't know the exact date. Not a reliable way to operate a 71 yr old company!