Fitout and First trips for 2024

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: Fitout and First trips for 2024

Unread post by Denny »

Hey all you boatnerds that read and follow this post. First, I’d like to take this time and opportunity to thank the wonderful volunteers and people at Boatnerd for allowing me and giving me the opportunity to post here. As many of you have said in other related posts and on the Regional Discussion Board, indeed it is great to be back here on Boatnerd and posting again. I hope to continue with any news, reports and information that I find and can get. With that said, we have a new one to add today to the 2024 Fit Out List and my reports as well. As of 6:45 p.m. Eastern Time on April 26, the Algoma Compass for now is at anchor off of Port Weller. They were in the Drydocks this winter at Port Weller so I am not sure or certain if they have departed their lay up today or if maybe they are just out doing some sort of tests or Sea Trials maybe trying to break in something as far as with their engines? Other than the Algoma Compass, that’s all I have for you all at this time.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

One new Fit Out and Vessel to add to my 2024 Fit Out lists and reports. The Nukumi of CSL or Canada Steamship Lines departed from their Winter Lay Up berth in Montreal and now are out sailing. They departed from lay up on April 22. Only the Oakglen of CSL remains in lay up at Montreal. Algoma still has three that remain in lay up the John D. Leitch laid up at Owen Sound, Algoma Compass at Port Weller and Algoma Guardian in Sarnia. For the Interlake fleet, just two remain laid up now the tug Dorothy Ann and barge Pathfinder in Erie, Pennsylvania while the Stewart J. Cort remains at Sturgeon Bay and BayShip where it received its 5-year dry docking and repainting. The Philip R. Clarke remains laid up for GLF in Toledo, the Cuyahoga remains in Ashtabula from their fire earlier this year during their fit out. Also in Ashtabula is the American Mariner getting repairs done from the grounding near the Soo in March. So far, that’s all the Fit Out News and information I have for now.
Denny

Re: Fitout and First trips for 202

Unread post by Denny »

Hello all my friends and fellow boatnerds. Just one Vessel to add to my Fit-Out list for 2024 and my reports as well. Although it’s only one vessel that has fitted out from lay up, I think many will agree with me as it’s one some of us have been waiting on for a very long time. So I can FINALLY say and add this in, the Paul R. Tregurtha has departed from their Winter Lay-Up berth in Superior at Fraser Shipyards today, April 22, 2024. They were due to move and shift over today to the MERC or SMET Coal Terminal in Superior to load coal for both the DTE Energy Plants at both St. Clair and Monroe, Michigan. With the PRT now leaving their layup today, this now leaves the Stewart J. Cort and the tug Dorothy Ann and the barge Pathfinder left from Interlake Steamship yet to sail in 2024. The Cort remains in Sturgeon Bay at BayShip where it is getting its 5-year dry docking and a repaint job done. Meanwhile, the tug Dorothy Ann and barge Pathfinder remain laid up in Erie, Pennsylvania. Algoma has the Algoma Compass at Port Weller, Algoma Guardian at Sarnia along with the John D. Leitch in Owen Sound all of which remain laid up. CSL has just two of their ships left in layup the Nukumi and Oakglen both in Montreal. GLF has just the Philip R. Clarke in Toledo. GRN has everyone out except the American Mariner which remains in Ashtabula getting repairs done from her grounding near the Soo earlier this Spring. That is all then.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello all boatnerds once again. We have a vessel to add now to the 2024 Fit Out List and my reports as well. As of 7:30 a.m. on April 18, the Hon. James L. Oberstar is underway and has departed their lay up in Toledo to begin their 2024 season. Their AIS is showing a Stoneport destination where they are expected to arrive on April 19 at 2000 hours or about 8 P.M. or so. That is all the Fit Out News and information that I have for you at this time.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hi boatnerds hope you’re all doing well. Just one new Vessel to add to my Fit Out list and reports and that would be the tug G.L. Ostrander and barge Integrity. They both departed from lay up at Sturgeon Bay today, April 10 to begin their 2024 season. They are currently enroute to Milwaukee per their AIS. That to my knowledge is the only vessel Fit Out news that I have at this time. As far as I know, two Interlake vessels in lay up are both expected to depart sometime next week beginning their 2024 seasons. The Paul R. Tregurtha is on the lineup to load coal next week at the MERC or SMET Dock in Superior a split load of coal for both St. Clair and Monroe. Also, the tug Dorothy Ann and barge Pathfundef should also be departing their lay up in Erie, Pennsylvania possibly sometime next week as well.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello all boatnerds. Here’s another vessel I missed as far as my 2024 Fit Out Report and list for you all. The Algoma Niagara departed their lay up berth in Goderich on April 7th and was upbound at the Soo on April 8th. I assume then they are headed to Thunder Bay next to load but I don’t have that information at this time. That is all the Fit Out news I have for you all at this time. I will update more as best as I can whenever I have new I updates and information to add. Thank You.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The Great Republic departed from Toledo again on April 7th this time around. They are still showing a Two Harbors destination per their AIS. Not sure what the reasons were as to why they turned around then on April 6 and returned to Toledo? Must have been for some type of repairs or mechanical issues maybe? They were briefly docked at the CSX #3 Dock the same location to where the Mesabi Miner was laid up in Toledo this past Winter lay up. That’s all the information that I have at this time.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

An update to my Fit Out List Report. Algoma has the Algoma Compass at Port Weller along with the Algoma Guardian in Sarnia, Algoma Niagara in Goderich and the John D. Leitch in Owen Sound all of which remain laid up for now. Canada Steamship Lines has only two the Oakglen and Nukumi both remaining in lay up for now. Great Lakes Fleet has two that I am aware of the Philip R. Clarke in Toledo and the Great Republic which departed from Toledo on April 6, fueled in Detroit then returned to Toledo. Interlake still has four remaining in lay up yet. The Paul R. Tregurtha in Superior at Fraser Shipyards, the Stewart J. Cort at BayShip in Sturgeon Bay getting their 5-year and repainting done. Tug Dorothy Ann and the barge Pathfinder remain laid up in Erie, while the Hon. James L. Oberstar remains laid up in Toledo. Lower Lakes Towing has all but the Cuyahoga out sailing now, while GRN has all but the American Mariner out sailing now. The American Mariner is in Ashtabula getting repairs done from their grounding at the Soo a few weeks ago. That is all I can think of at this time for this report. Hope that this reports helps out. I’ll be adding a few more later.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

As of 8:05 p.m. ET on April 6, I am seeing two Algoma vessels both of which have departed from their Winter Lay Up berths and begun sailing for the 2024 season. First to depart was the Algoma Intrepid on April 5 from Goderich. They are now at the Soo as I type in this report and are heading up to Thunder Bay, Ontario next. Also departing lay up on April 6 was the Algoma Buffalo. They departed lay up this evening from Port Colborne and their AIS is showing a Bruce Mines destination for them. That is all I have at this time then for the 2024 Vessel Fit Outs and Reports. Hope my information has helped.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

As usual, I’ve missed missed my fair share of the 2024 Fit Outs. Here’s one though I did not miss or forget either! The Great Republic departed their lay up berth in Toledo early on this morning April 6th to begin their 2024 season. They stopped to fuel in Detroit and from their AIS it shows Two Harbors as their next destination then. Also, the tug Defiance and the barge Ashtabula have since departed their lay up in Erie, Pennsylvania and are now out sailing for the 2024 season. They left from Erie and lay up on Thursday, April 4th. So this leaves just the Dorothy Ann and barge Pathfinder in lay up at Erie. In Toledo, so far just the Philip R. Clarke remains in lay up there among active vessels not in long term lay up! For Interlake, two additional vessels the Paul R. Tregurtha and Hon. James L. Oberstar remain in lay up to my knowledge? The PRT at Superior Fraser Shipyards while Oberstar remains in Toledo. Lower Lakes Towing has all but the Cuyahoga out sailing for the 2024 season, while Grand River Navigation I think has all of their ships out and sailing for the 2024 season? Algoma and Canada Steamship Lines each have a few vessels that remain in lay up yet. The Algoma Intrepid and Algoma Niagara both remain in Goderich while the Algoma Buffalo is at Port Colborne, Algoma Compass is at Port Weller and John D. Leitch is at Owen Sound. CSL has the Oakglen and Nukumi to my knowledge still in lay up I think? That’s all I have for the 2024 Fit Out Report and information at this time. Hope this helps.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just one new Vessel Fit Out that I am aware of to add to the list. There may be more that I have missed or forgotten and for that my apologies. Here’s the most recent Vessel to add. The CSL Laurentien departed their layup in Port Colborne on April 1st to begin their 2024 season. Their AIS is showing a Two Harbors destination for them at this time.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

A couple more vessels to add to the 2024 Fit Out lists. From Darren in Sturgeon Bay and thanks for his help on tracking and spotting this departure. The tug Joyce L. VanEnkevort and barge Great Lakes Trader departed from Sturgeon Bay and layup on March 28 to start and begin their season. Today March 29, the Kaye E. Barker departed from their layup in Erie, Pennsylvania to begin their 2024 season. To my knowledge, the following Interlake vessels remain in layup the Paul R. Tregurtha, Hon. James L. Oberstar, tug Dorothy Ann and barge Pathfinder. Hope I got all the Interlake ships? For GLF, just the Great Republic and the Philip R. Clarke remain in layup. For LLT & GRN, the Cuyahoga, tug Defiance and the barge Ashtabula and the Sam Laud. Hope that I got all of those ok? Please note though that Yes I do know that there are a few vessels in Long-Term Lay-Up. I am only including the most active ships that usually sail each year and season on my list in my reports and not the Long-Term lay-up vessels. Hope that all of my reports and information helps out.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Darren as I missed that one and a few others as well that have Fitted Out and have sailed for the 2024 Shipping Season. I’ve tried and done my best here to contribute and to help out whenever I can. Just hope that everyone here appreciates my help, postings and my contributions. I’m not the best or the greatest at trying to keep up with the Fit Outs for 2024 but I do my best. Thanks.
Darren

Unread post by Darren »

Great Lakes trader departed last Thursday night approx 6pm through the bay of Green Bay .
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The Kaministiqua departed their layup in Windsor on March 28 and are currently upbound as of 11:45 p.m. on the St. Clair River. I assume they are heading up Thunder Bay then to load?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello all boatnerds. Here is a new and updated list of the 2024 Vessel Fit Outs for you. Since my last report, 3 more vessels have since departed from their layups and set sail for the 2024 season. Here are the 3 most recent vessels to depart their winter layup berths. On March 27, the Lee A. Tregurtha departed from Superior and the Fraser Shipyards with a fresh and shiny new coat of paint after undergoing their 5-year dry docking. They are now headed to Marquette next to load ore. Two vessels have since departed their layup berths today, March 28 and have begun sailing for the 2024 season. The CSL Niagara departed its layup in Hamilton and they are currently upbound in the Welland Canal and they are now headed for Toledo to load next. Also departing layup on March 28 is the Calumet from Toledo. They are headed to Marblehead next to load. That is all I have at this time now. This report was filed as of 1:25 p.m. ET on March 28 as well.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

As of 10 P.M. on March 27, I am seeing now on the AIS maps that in Ashtabula that both the American Century and the American Integrity each have since departed their layup berths today and are now out sailing for the 2024 season.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Good Evening to all boatnerds and hope you’re having A Great week of boatwatching and shipwatching so far. Lots of Fit Outs to report and a few that I have missed out on in a few days as well. My apologies for the missed Fit Outs on the ships that have departed already and have since sailed for 2024. Here though are a few of the updated Fit Outs that have taken place in the past day or so. For today, March 27 both the Spruceglen along with the Whitefish Bay each from Canada Steamship Lines or CSL have departed from their layups respectively today. The Spruceglen departed their layup in Port Colborne while in Sarnia, the Whitefish Bay departed their layup as well. The tug Victory with barge Maumee left and departed their layup in Ashtabula today as well. They are I headed up to Marquette I think to load next? A few that I missed recently. The American Mariner departed their layup in Sturgeon Bay on March 26 heading up to Silver Bay next to load. While in Sarnia, the Michipicoten departed their layup from there this past week but not sure of the date? These are just a few of the most recent Fit Outs that I have at this time for all of you now. This report was as of 7:15 p.m. ET or local time on March 27 as well.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

To update my earlier post on the Robert S. Pierson. I think they were going to Sarnia to load a Grain cargo at the Grain Elevator there.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I think the Pierson may begging to the Grain Elevator in Darbia to load a grain cargo?