Fitout and First trips for 2024

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Syd bc

Re: Fitout and First trips for 2024

Unread post by Syd bc »

Looks like the Whitefish Bay is getting fuel in Sarnia could the Pierson also be going for fuel
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Not too many Fit Outs to report on so far. However, one new one just popped up today. The Robert S. Pierson departed from their layup today, March 26 and from their AIS shows a Sarnia destination next. I’m assuming they may be going there to load a grain cargo? However, CSL’s Whitefish Bay so far remains in layup in Sarnia at the Grain Elevator Dock. So, I wonder then could the Whitefish Bay then be departing layup from Sarnia soon or maybe they do a temporary move on the Whitefish Bay to another Dock to permit and to allow the Pierson to Dock at the Grain Elevator to load? We’ll have to watch for that and see what develops from that situation soon. The Pierson departed their layup berth from Erie, Pennsylvania by the way.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

An update to my 2024 Fit Out Reports list. The John G. Munson departed from Duluth and their layup berth on March 23rd and headed up to Two Harbors to load. I regretfully and sincerely apologize for missing their fit out as I just saw that they had departed early this morning on various websites and AIS map tracking sites. That is all I have at this time.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello to all boatnerds. Not too many Fit Outs to report on at this time as there’s still many ships still in Winter Lay-Up that have yet to sail so far in 2024! Here however is the most recent update that I have for you at this time. This report is on March 25th at 7:10 p.m. and here’s what I see. The Manitowoc departed their layup in Toledo to begin their season and per their AIS, is showing a Marblehead destination. According to the Fit Out list here on boatnerd, it lists the CSL Welland as sailing on March 24. They departed Thunder Bay after loading on March 24 and was downbound at the Soo on March 25. So, they may have shifted a few days prior to March 24 from their layup berth in Thunder Bay and went over to the grain elevator to load up there. Finally, thanks to boatnerd contributor Bill Kloss and his reporting I now know what happened on the fit out of the American Courage from their layup berth in Ashtabula. The American Courage left from Ashtabula and headed to Cleveland to unload ore pellets. This cargo was to be unloaded last year however, they had unloading issues of some type thus they could not unload their cargo at that time. After it had delivered its load to Cleveland, the American Courage then departed from there on March 24, fueled in Detroit and are now headed up to Marquette. That’s all for now.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Good Evening everyone and hope you had A Great and Safe Sunday today. Sorry this report is late on the Fit Outs of 2024 as my schedule will not permit and allow me to do any reporting early on Sundays only in the evenings do I report on Sundays. So here is my list of the most recent Fit Outs for today, March 24th. This export is as of 8:35 p.m. EDT and or local time. There are 4 new Vessel Fit Outs to add to the list. However, before I begin with my list for you there is a few questions first I need and appreciate any information on and answers to my questions and this is important boatnerds that read and follow this and I hope to get some help please from someone. First, when did the American Courage depart their layup in Ashtabula as I don’t have that information. Second, they departed Cleveland this evening, March 24th. What were they then doing in Cleveland shuttles? None of this information I have and can surely use and appreciate any help, information and answers that you may have for me then. Thank You in advance. Now then, onto the Fit Out list for 2024 and the most recents to add. Four new vessels have recently fitted out from their layups. Here’s 3 that I know for sure of. The Tim S. Dool and Algoma Discovery have both departed their respective layups on March 24 to begin their 2024 year. The Dool is bound for Thunder Bay, while the Algoma Discovery is for Superior and the BN #5 Ore Dock there to load. The Saginaw departed from Sarnia on March 24th from their layup and they are downbound in the St. Clair River area at this time. Finally and last, the American Courage has left Ashtabula and their layup from there. However, I do not know or have anything on when they departed there layup? Can anyone please help with that info if they have that? Thank You. That is all the Fit Out News and info I have at this time. I will update more as I get further info and vessels continue to fit out and sail for the 2024 season. Thank You.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

My apologies sincerely for the late reporting of these 3 Vessel Fit Outs today as I just saw them, received and got them. So, here we go with the latest and most recent Fit Out report by me now as of 9:15 p.m. on March 23. In Duluth-Superior, two vessels departed their layups today. The Arthur M. Anderson and Manitoulin both from Fraser Shipyards in Superior. Anderson for Two Harbors, Manitoulin to Thunder Bay each to begin their 2024 season respectively and to load their first cargoes for the new season. The H. Lee White left and departed from their layup in Buffalo also on March 23 today. They had a grain storage cargo for General Mills Grain Elevator in Buffalo. The White is still on Lake Erie, while the Anderson and Manitoulin both respectively are each on Lake Superior right now. That is all that I have for Fit Outs at this time. Thank You.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks EJB as I’m doing my best to try and help out here when I can and also trying my best to take good care of myself and my health at the same time. Busy times right now with the startup of the shipping season and Fit Outs and trying to keep up with all of this! A special and heartfelt thanks also to the entire boatnerd group, contributors along with reporters and supporters of this website. I would not be where I am today if it were not for boatnerd and the many supporters, contributors and reporters here. Thanks everyone for all of your hard work, loyalty, dedication and time spent making boatnerd what it is today. 3 Long and 2 Short and please keep up the good work to all that contribute. Thank You.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Sorry for reporting this one late today. The Captain Henry Jackman departed from their layup today, March 23 in Port Colborne to begin their 2024 season.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just one new Fit Out to add this morning so far. As of 10:25 a.m. on March 23 on the AIS maps the Atlantic Huron is anchored off of Port Weller. They departed from their layup in Hamilton early this morning, March 23 to begin their 2024 season.
E J B

Unread post by E J B »

Good work Denny ! Appreciate it.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Two new Fit Outs to report and add to the list. The CSL St-Laurent is upbound at this time in the Welland Canal. The layup list on boatnerd says they departed March 19. Did they unload a sugar storage cargo at the Redpath Dock first? The Algoma Harvester departed from their layup in Montreal today and is upbound now in the Seaway. This report is as of March 22 at 11:10 p.m. EDT and local time as well.

Unread post by Guest »

Very nice reporting Denny! Thanks much.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

As of 3:25 p.m. on March 22, the G3 Marquis departed its layup in Hamilton and from their AIS, headed to Thunder Bay next to load and to begin their 2024 season.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The Wilfred Sykes departed from their layup today, March 22 at Sturgeon Bay and to start their 2024 season as well.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The tug Petite Forte and barge St. Mary’s Cement are upbound now in the Welland Canal as of 2:40 p.m. on March 22. They departed their layup in Hamilton I think on Match 22?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

As of 11:50 a.m. local time on March 22. The Mesabi Miner has departed their layup in Toledo to begin their 2024 season earlier this morning sometime. At Port Colborne and the Welland Canal, the tug Sharon M I has departed from their layup in Port Colborne with a barge to begin their 2024 season. I hope I got the tug name correct here?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The Rt. Hon. Paul J. Martin left from their layup berth this morning, March 22nd in the Welland Canal. I am taking at least this weekend off from posting Fit Out Reports and the information due to other appointments and obligations that are more important right now. I’m hoping to resume my reporting next week though on any 2024 Fit Outs at that time. Enjoy the season openings everyone and hope to see plenty of photos and stories along with reports as well. I need your help now all boatnerds as I’ve helped you all out late,y.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Late Fitouts for these three boats. As of 12:25 a.m. on March 22, three 1,000 footers all departed their respective layup berths all on March 21st! In Sturgeon Bay, Burns Harbor and the Walter J. McCarthy Jr. have since departed layup. In Toledo, James R. Barker has departed from their layup berth on March 21st as well. That’s all for now everyone.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Another Fit Out to add in and an update on one I’d mentioned prior. First, Algoma Equinox has left its layup in Hamilton today, March 21 and it appears maybe headed then for the Welland Canal? Second and lastly, it appears the CSL Tadoussac is not headed for the Welland Canal just yet from departing their layup in Toronto. They will most likely head to probably Bowmanville to load cement clicker for Detroit. This information comes as of March 21st at 10:45 p.m. local time.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

More to add in on the 2024 Fit Outs. Here’s 3 more to add in, all Canadian vessels that left from their respective layups today, March 21. The CSL Assiniboine departed from Hamilton and is enroute to the ditch or the Welland Canal. Also, the CSL Tadoussac departed from Toronto and is also headed for the Welland Canal. The Algoma Conveyor departed from its Winter Layup and they are moving in the Welland Canal. All of this at 9 PM on March 21st.