George M. Humphrey 1956 incident

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Mr Link

Re: George M. Humphrey 1956 incident

Unread post by Mr Link »

badger wrote: April 15, 2024, 12:46 am did the KAW become the roger stahl for gaelic tugboat or was I another tug I'm sure you know the correct answer!
Correct, the Kaw became the Roger Stahl.
badger

Unread post by badger »

did the KAW become the roger stahl for gaelic tugboat or was I another tug I'm sure you know the correct answer!

Unread post by Guest »

Newspaper reports say it hit a boulder and suffered 13 "fractures" along its side. It was partially unloaded to a barge before heading to Cleveland to unload the rest of its cargo. It was the last vessel to unload in Cleveland before dock workers there went on strike. From Cleveland, it went to Lorain for repairs that were estimated to take three weeks, but I'm not sure when she sailed again.

She was on her first trip of the season, leaving layup in Sandusky the week before. On her way up the St Mary's, she stopped at the Lime Island fuel dock and picked up three kids (nephews of the dock superintendent) and gave them a ride to the Soo so they could get to school in Raber. They lived in Raber during the week and went home to Lime Island on the weekends, but the ice had been too thick to ferry them across the river.
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

The vessel's port bow struck rocks because of low water caused by wind and ice movement and took on water in at least three tanks forward. Part of its cargo was lightered by GLTCo's Laurence C. Turner and barge Reliance from the Soo, as well as the crane boat O. S. McFarland. Initially it was intended to bring the vessel to Algoma Steel's Soo plant but instead it was decided to proceed on to its original destination, Zug Island, but that didn't happen and it ended up at Cleveland to unload the remainder. It left for Lorain for searching and repairs 18 April 1956, and after the replacement of thirteen plates it left for Superior on 29 April 1956. The Coast Guard vessel in the photograph is Kaw WYT-61.

George M. Humphrey 1956 incident

Unread post by Guest »

TOday in History mentions the George M. Humphrey being pushed onto a shoal by ice. The picture shows a pretty good list and low in the water, but they also still have steam up. How badly was the ship damaged in this incident? Was the list shown from settling it the water, or only because the other side was pushed up on the reet?