Cruise ship engine fire

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Brent

Re: Cruise ship engine fire

Unread post by Brent »

The Fairbanks Morse engines used by the U.S. Coast Guard and Algona were famous for crankcase explosions. When I was on Mackinaw we had several. Fortunately nobody was injured, but can make a mess of an engine. The most common cause was a hole in a piston, or more often lube oil being diluted with fuel oil. This is why we always checked the lube oil viscosity on the engines once a watch.
oldseadog

Unread post by oldseadog »

Guest wrote:If I remember correctly the Ralph Misener had a crank-case explosion in the early 1980s that killed the chief engineer.
Unfortunately 2 crewmembers lost their lives in that incident August 12, 1980, aboard the Ralph Misener at Port Alfred, the first lost of life came 2 days after the explosion, the second 17 days later.

Unread post by Guest »

The ship has 6 engines; 3 forward, 3 aft. The report I read says the fire occurred in a generator in the aft engine room. It damaged a switchboard "preventing the transmissionof electricity to other machinery, including the propulsion motors". There was no mention od an explosion. The cause of the fire is unknown.
trvguy

Unread post by trvguy »

must have been a big explosion.
i saw a locomotive with a emd explode.
big bang and a ball of fire.
i'm sure the ships engine was a lot larger.

Unread post by Guest »

If I remember correctly the Ralph Misener had a crank-case explosion in the early 1980s that killed the chief engineer.
AARCR

Cruise ship engine fire

Unread post by AARCR »

One report I read about this weeks cruise ship that had the engine room fire said that the engine split open and burning oil spewed around.
I wonder if that may have been en internal crankcase explosion.
In a huge crankcase full of hot oil vapor could an explosion occur?
Has this happened before?