"Hatch" on a hatch Philip Clarke

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
standuffer

Re: "Hatch" on a hatch Philip Clarke

Unread post by standuffer »

Those round vents were on the Callaway when I sailed on her in 1971. I believe there was one vent per cargo hold so what would be just three vents in'71 and probably at least four today.
DavidFrank

Unread post by DavidFrank »

I believe it was the Middletown, carrying a load of coal, that had a methane gas explosion. After that the little access hatches were installed. With Oglebay Norton the watchmen (able bodied seaman) would open the hatch and use a meter to check gas levels.

Unread post by Guest »

That is a vent. When carrying coal methane will occasionally build up in the holds and this was one method of venting it out. Most of the old Onco boats had a "vent hatch" on each hatch.

Unread post by Guest »

That is a vent. When carrying coal methane will occasionally build up in the holds and this was one method of venting it out. Most of the old Onco boats had a "vent hatch" on each hatch.
Steve B

"Hatch" on a hatch Philip Clarke

Unread post by Steve B »

Watching the Philip R. Clarke depart yesterday from South Chicago, I noticed in center of one of the hatch covers there was another small round "hatch" of some sort. Just curious as to what the purpose of this is? Thought maybe it was some kind of "access" to one of the holds if needed, but wasnt sure if it was big enough for a person to get through.
Thanks.
Steve