Re: Detroit Shipbuilding Co.
Posted: November 17, 2010, 4:33 am
Detroit Ship Building Co began as Campbell, Wolverton & Co. in 1852. It had several name and ownership changes. The yard built two lakers after WWI ended and then became a repair facility. It finally closed as AmShip Detroit in 1929. Ships' hulls were built in the Wyandotte yard and outfitted in the Detroit yard. The Wyandotte yard was between Orchard and Plum Streets and is now the northern end of the Wyandotte Shores Golf Club. The Detroit yard was at Orleans and Atwater Streets and is now St. Aubin Park.