ID on Pickands Mather crew members

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: ID on Pickands Mather crew members

Unread post by Guest »

Thanks, all.
Mike D

Unread post by Mike D »

That is indeed Captain Harvey Sterling. I sailed with him as Wheelsman/Watchman on the John Sherwin in the early 80's and also sailed with him on the Elton Hoyt in earlier years. Very easygoing and jovial Captain if I remember correctly.

Unread post by Guest »

I
RogerKYS wrote:I was scanning some old slides from the 1970s and these were in there. I am wondering if anyone recognizes these guys. One is obviously a Pickands Mather cook, the other I believe is a captain from the same fleet.
I sailed on the E G Grace in 1970 And Wally Lundquist was a poter that is definetly him in the picture
Russ

Unread post by Russ »

John - Harvey Sterling Jr. was the last Captain of the Robert Hobson in 1975, at least according to the 1975 Red Book.
standuffer

Unread post by standuffer »

Hey Russ, I sailed on the Hobson as a deckhand on her last two trips before she was layed-up in Ashtabula and sold by Interlake in June 1975. Was Capt. Sterling the master at that time and if he wasn't, can you tell me who was? TIA John Stanbrook
Russ

Unread post by Russ »

I believe the individual listed as Captain is Harvey G. Sterling Jr. He joined Interlake as a deckhand on the Harry R. Jones in 1937. His first command as Captain was in 1973 on the Robert Hobson. He retired off the J. L. Mauthe in 1982.

I have two maybes for the cook. One possibility is Walter Lundquist who was a porter on the E. G. Grace in 1972. The second possibility is William Kelly who was Second Cook on the Sherwin in 1977.
BigRiver

ID on Pickands Mather crew members

Unread post by BigRiver »

I was scanning some old slides from the 1970s and these were in there. I am wondering if anyone recognizes these guys. One is obviously a Pickands Mather cook, the other I believe is a captain from the same fleet.
Attachments
Pickands Mather cook.jpg
Pickands Mather Captain.jpg