How are port tugs paid.

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Timerover51

Re: How are port tugs paid.

Unread post by Timerover51 »

Mr Link wrote:Great Lakes Towing still publishes a general tariff which, as I understand it, is the rate they charge if you don't have a specific contract with them. Interesting reading. Be sure to read the fine print, because getting the tug and the crew to the port may be more expensive than the tow up the river.

http://www.thegreatlakesgroup.com/page_ ... itions.pdf

If the rates seem high, keep in mind that they have to cover the cost of maintaining and manning a fleet of tugs that are on-call 24/7 and provide services over a huge geographic area.
Thanks for posting the info on the tug rates. It makes for interesting reading, especially the discussion of ice breaking rates.
hayhugh

Unread post by hayhugh »

In the port of Duluth USS had a yearly contract with Great Lakes Towing. 1/2 hour before boat was
ready to be fully loaded the mate on watch would let the Captain know and the Captain would blow for a tug. Usually to push the boat out and help to turn around. If a tug got there, fine, if not the Captain would back her out and we would head for the lower lakes. This was back when the boats did not have bow thrusters. and you could probably save 20/30 minutes using a tug.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Great Lakes Towing still publishes a general tariff which, as I understand it, is the rate they charge if you don't have a specific contract with them. Interesting reading. Be sure to read the fine print, because getting the tug and the crew to the port may be more expensive than the tow up the river.

http://www.thegreatlakesgroup.com/page_ ... itions.pdf

If the rates seem high, keep in mind that they have to cover the cost of maintaining and manning a fleet of tugs that are on-call 24/7 and provide services over a huge geographic area.
oldseadog

Unread post by oldseadog »

[quote="gyroplanes"]I wondered how a foreign ship paid for tug services. I asked my friend as he works for Great Lakes Towing. He said they are bonded and contract with the towing company. Payment is through the bonding company.

I was surprised to learn that it might cost thousands of dollars for one tow out of the river.[/quote

Most payments are done through the agent representing the vessel, the agent collects the monies, pays whatever is due to the tug, and other port utilities, whats left goes to the shipping company, otherwise, it would be a nightmare trying to collect from some foreign shipping companies. A tug, I was told, cost $2,000 an hour at some Canadian ports. prices vary. If a tug is going on a job and a emergency call comes for a person jumping of a bridge lets say, the tug has to break off going to his job and attend to the emergency, which is a must, but the tug company does not get paid for this.
gyroplanes

Unread post by gyroplanes »

I wondered how a foreign ship paid for tug services. I asked my friend as he works for Great Lakes Towing. He said they are bonded and contract with the towing company. Payment is through the bonding company.

I was surprised to learn that it might cost thousands of dollars for one tow out of the river.
George

Unread post by George »

Tugs in ports are privately owned. Some companies may have a contract with a tug company for assist tugs, some do not. They are used on an as needed basis. Wind current your particular vessel will all come in to factor as to when a tug is needed or not. In general it is the captains decision.

Unread post by Guest »

Tugs are contracted by the port.
Allan Weber

How are port tugs paid.

Unread post by Allan Weber »

I was wondering about tugs in the various ports. Are the contracted by the port and no charge to ships? Are the contracted by the ships on a when needed basis?
Thanks for any info.

al