Marion Egan

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jared D

Marion Egan

Unread post by Jared D »

I was part of the team that found her (even though I was not there the weekend it was discovered). She was built in Huron Ohio in the 1860's and was profitable due to her effort in the civil war and her speed due to her tall masts and sails. She was wrecked in the early 1870's and was abandoned. A year later she was ressurected and rebuilt with more modern rigging and other shipboard items to improve her worth. In 1875 she was in Northern Lake Huron when she was holed and sunk by another Schooner called the E.R. Williams. She sank in reportably less than 10 minutes (but her intactness says otherwise) and took 2 crew members with her. We located her upright and Intact! Some of the crew says it beats the Windiate or the H.P. Bridge and lies in 250ft of water about 25 miles off shore. As for photographs, since her early age I have not found any definate proof. But I am still searching for a look-a-like or an actual photo. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Jared