Gordon C Leitch on final trip?

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Gordon C Leitch downbound

Unread post by Guest »

It appears the Gordon C Leitch departed Thunder Bay around 11:30AM (EST) can anyone confrim about what time they will pass dowbound at the Soo? Would like to get pics if they will make a daylight passage.

Re: Gordon C Leitch on final trip?

Unread post by Guest »

Gordon C Leitch departed Thunder Bay at 1115 hours EST on Dec. 18 and is headed for Baie Comeau, beginning her final trip on the Great Lakes. Should be at the Soo Locks around dawn on Sunday morning.
SimpleSimon

Unread post by SimpleSimon »

Bunge paid $4 million to ULS to reactivate the Leitch.
It was 1 million from Bunge not 4 as stated
These quotes make it sound like Bunge actually handed over money to ULS to activate the Leitch. Or did ULS sign a contract with Bunge that was worth $4 million (or $1 million) to move their cargo?

Unread post by Guest »

Northup wrote:
riverbear wrote:Bunge Corp. is major worldwide grain company and agri/food processor. It was rumoured that Bunge played a major role in reactivating the Leitch.
Does Bunge Corp. own any vessels outside of the Great Lakes?
Bunge does not own any vessels.
Northup

Unread post by Northup »

riverbear wrote:Bunge Corp. is major worldwide grain company and agri/food processor. It was rumoured that Bunge played a major role in reactivating the Leitch.
Does Bunge Corp. own any vessels outside of the Great Lakes?
riverbear

Unread post by riverbear »

Bunge Corp. is major worldwide grain company and agri/food processor. It was rumoured that Bunge played a major role in reactivating the Leitch.

Unread post by Guest »

jimmy wrote:I heard SMT is looking at keeping the Leitch and Algocape until end of next year for Lietch and September for Cape.
Who is Bunge and what is the $1 million paid for exactly thanks?
jimmy

Unread post by jimmy »

I heard SMT is looking at keeping the Leitch and Algocape until end of next year for Lietch and September for Cape.
J Kerwin

Unread post by J Kerwin »

TWilush wrote:Do you know when the Algocape's survey is due? (or any other info for that matter)

The Algocape's certificate expires in May 2011.
Raymond

Unread post by Raymond »

With ULS/SMT scrapping the Leader and Prospector and someday
the Miner, what is the status and future of the Ranger and would
ULS try to bring her out next year? Also, what is the word on
the Provider and her future as I've heard conflicting reports there?
TWilush

Unread post by TWilush »

Do you know when the Algocape's survey is due? (or any other info for that matter)

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:It is interesting to note that with the upcoming retirement of the Gordon C Leitch, ULS will have only three active straight-deckers left and those three are steam powered.
Bunge paid $4 million to ULS to reactivate the Leitch. I highly doubt this is a permanent retirement.

Thats a lot of money, for a ship that size and age, thats about enough for Bunge to buy her outright. My sources say she's done. Her return to service this Fall was interesting - she only hauled grain - no back hauls of taconite pellets to Hamilton or any other type of cargo.
J Kerwin

Unread post by J Kerwin »

Her certificate expires Feb. 28, 2011.

Unread post by Guest »

I would tend to agree. I think it likely we will see the Leitch around for another year or so, whenever it is her 5 year expires.
TWilush

Unread post by TWilush »

I was under the impression that she required considerable steel work. Her tenure at PWDD this year when she was reactivated did not seem to be long enough to perform that sort of repair.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:It is interesting to note that with the upcoming retirement of the Gordon C Leitch, ULS will have only three active straight-deckers left and those three are steam powered.
Bunge paid $4 million to ULS to reactivate the Leitch. I highly doubt this is a permanent retirement.

Unread post by Guest »

It is interesting to note that with the upcoming retirement of the Gordon C Leitch, ULS will have only three active straight-deckers left and those three are steam powered.

Unread post by Guest »

You are correct.

Gordon C Leitch on final trip?

Unread post by Guest »

Does anyone know if this is the Gordon C Leitch's final trip? She is waiting weather at Sarnia, then will go to Thunder Bay to load. Suppose to go into final lay-up at Section 56 in Montreal. Can anyone confirm? Thank you.