CTC#1

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: CTC#1

Unread post by Guest »

Raymond wrote:Just what exactly is LLT/GRN planning on doing with her now that
they've acquired her? Will she be converted back to a regular
self-unloading cargo vessel like the Manistee or something else?
Also, could she be a "possible replacement for the Maumee also?"
There is discussion of this issue on the "Maumee" thread on this page. There is also no official word on their plans.
Raymond

Unread post by Raymond »

Just what exactly is LLT/GRN planning on doing with her now that
they've acquired her? Will she be converted back to a regular
self-unloading cargo vessel like the Manistee or something else?
Also, could she be a "possible replacement for the Maumee also?"
gyroplanes

Unread post by gyroplanes »

I have some close up pictures I took of the CTC1 last Fall, if you'd like them?

The area is inaccessible except by water. in warmer weather the trees and brush obscure the only view.
There is also a year-round fence to shoot through.
The area is a heavily protected harbor and the guards won't even talk to you unless you have a TWIC card.
southsideriverrat

Unread post by southsideriverrat »

As noted in the "Maumee" thread. her bow is visible from I-94 (Bishop Ford Freeway) around 125th Street in SE Chicago. The frontage road on the east side of I-94 is Doty Avenue and is accessible. See the Google Maps Satellite view link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UT ... 6&t=h&z=17

You could try driving in the turnoff as seen in the satellite view. but there is likely to be a heavy security presence.

During a better time of year a boat would give better access for photographs. It has been far below freezing here for several weeks now and the area is likely to be iced over.

Dan
Hermie Phillips

CTC#1

Unread post by Hermie Phillips »

Where exactly is the CTC#1 located ? Is she still in South Chicago? How excessable is she for taking pictures? TIA Herm