Great Republic

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Rob

Re: Great Republic

Unread post by Rob »

Sorry guest my correction on saying "their" boat for US Steel. I just meant the boat was named for the fleet it sails for, The Great Lakes Fleet. They have been affiliated or owned by US Steel for so long its kind of hard not to make that mistake, but again I apologize for my inaccuracy.

Rob
Grizzly

Unread post by Grizzly »

Guest wrote:While i agree with you that her name won't change, it's not US Steel's boat. CN owns Great Lakes Fleet. US Steel has no ownership over Great Lakes Fleet.
While this is true(for the most part/jones act/Key lakes/etc), US Steel is one of their largest customers. I still don't think they will change the name.

Unread post by Guest »

While i agree with you that her name won't change, it's not US Steel's boat. CN owns Great Lakes Fleet. US Steel has no ownership over Great Lakes Fleet.
Grizzly

Unread post by Grizzly »

Rob wrote:Great Republic is obviously named for the Great Lakes Fleet. Even though the original "Republic" stood for the Republic Steel company, but now "Republic" can be translated into its true meaning "A republic is a form of government in which the country is considered a "public matter" (Latin: res publica), not the private concern or property of the rulers, and where offices of states are subsequently directly or indirectly elected or appointed rather than inherited.In modern times, a common simplified definition of a republic is a government where the head of state is not a monarch."

So in the end why would you change Great Republic? You are the US steel company and your boat now exemplifies the fleet of which it belongs and the country of which US steel is named after. Quite fitting
Well put Rob. I would be shocked if they changed the name on her. Per my conversations with CN, they really enjoy having the flexibility that boat offers.
Rob

Unread post by Rob »

Great Republic is obviously named for the Great Lakes Fleet. Even though the original "Republic" stood for the Republic Steel company, but now "Republic" can be translated into its true meaning "A republic is a form of government in which the country is considered a "public matter" (Latin: res publica), not the private concern or property of the rulers, and where offices of states are subsequently directly or indirectly elected or appointed rather than inherited.In modern times, a common simplified definition of a republic is a government where the head of state is not a monarch."

So in the end why would you change Great Republic? You are the US steel company and your boat now exemplifies the fleet of which it belongs and the country of which US steel is named after. Quite fitting
Brent

Unread post by Brent »

The name has to be changed on all the ship's papers including insurance, and Coast Guard. All the life jackets, life rings, life boats, and oars have to be stenciled with the new name. Ais and all the electronic identification has to be changed, and or updated.
Randy S

Unread post by Randy S »

Other than painting the new name, just what else is involved in changing a name and how costly?
Grizzly

Unread post by Grizzly »

Guest wrote:
sgrima wrote:Short answer is yes! She will be painted in a few years when she goes in for her 5 year inspection. When that is I don't know.
Supposed to be this year.
No it's not this year. It will be over the 2014 layup when she gets dry docked and painted (she may have gotten an extension). I haven't heard anything on a name change. I don't think they would bother.

Unread post by Guest »

Denny wrote:If she is repainted, will they still keep the name "Great Republic" or is a possible name change perhaps in her future?
I don't think they'll change the name since they've already changed it once.

Unread post by Guest »

She was already renamed when she entered the Great Lakes Fleet.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

If she is repainted, will they still keep the name "Great Republic" or is a possible name change perhaps in her future?

Unread post by Guest »

sgrima wrote:Short answer is yes! She will be painted in a few years when she goes in for her 5 year inspection. When that is I don't know.
Supposed to be this year.
sgrima

Unread post by sgrima »

Short answer is yes! She will be painted in a few years when she goes in for her 5 year inspection. When that is I don't know.
Denny

Great Republic

Unread post by Denny »

Will she get painted in red like her other USS/GLF fleetmates this winter? I thought I read and heard once that this winter she will get painted in red and have the bow stripes applied like her other fleetmates. If this happens she should look sharp in red with the bow stripes added for next year. Any news appreciated. Thanks.