Obtaining nautical items when a laker is scrapped

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
MilwBob

Re: Obtaining nautical items when a laker is scrapped

Unread post by MilwBob »

They usually sell the pieces for the market price of the items.

Unread post by Guest »

Before the Beechglen was towed away for scrap our crew from the Oakglen rowed a life boat over to the Beech and came back with a boat load of junk (clocks, silverware, bedding, etc.). The pilot house had been stripped completely bare of everything. The helm and binnacle were removed before hand and I am sure they ended up in some company big shots home. Even the brass bed that was in the Captain's room had been removed. All there was left when our crew got there, throughout the entire ship, was a complete mess. Capt. R. Metz
SoundSaltie

Unread post by SoundSaltie »

I would guess your best bet is to contact the breaker directly and see if they are willing to sell anything. Two of the three main breakers in Brownsville actually advertise reclaimed materials from the ships they've broken up;

International Shipbreaking Limited
http://www.shiprecycling.com/proj.html
ESCO Marine Inc
http://www.escomarine.us/esco_sales/esc ... index.html

From what I've seen at the Reserve Fleet in VA it's worth noting there usually isnt much left of value aboard a ship when she's sold for razor-blading.
G Craig

Obtaining nautical items when a laker is scrapped

Unread post by G Craig »

I have always wondered what happens to the collectible items from a laker when it is scrapped. For example the ships wheel, engine order telegraph, the bell, the portholes, water tight lanterns, switches, life rings and so forth... There are so many items that would sell for more than their scrap metal value to collectors. Back in the mid 80's when the American Steamship Company steamer "Sharon" was scrapped, she was reportedly towed to ship breakers in Brownsville, Texas but I wasn't able to determine exactly where or if any items were available for purchase to the general public. Does anybody know if "collectible items" are removed and sold intact when a ship is scrapped, and if so any recommendations where they may be purchased?