Burns Harbor/Mississagi passing at Mighty Mack on 12/29

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Mackcitybuckeye

Re: Burns Harbor/Mississagi passing at Mighty Mack on 12/29

Unread post by Mackcitybuckeye »

Thanks to all that helped me resize the picture. Hope this one is a little bette]
Attachments
burns3.jpg
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

trvguy wrote:it is an interesting shot. I always thought that marine traffic kept to the right side except to pass as in car traffic?
The Mississagi came from the South Passage and the Burns Harbor was headed for Round Island Passage. In these situations it is better not to cross each others course just for the sake of a port to port meet but to have a "two whistle" meeting which is starboard to starboard. Both vessels seeing each other on radar and also hearing their respective security calls for the Straits of Mackinac, contact each other on the radio and agree to a meeting arrangement well before they actually meet.
trvguy

Unread post by trvguy »

it is an interesting shot. I always thought that marine traffic kept to the right side except to pass as in car traffic?
hausen

Unread post by hausen »

Interesting shot, nice size comparison - thanks for posting it. You'd be able to present a larger version of the picture if you uploaded it to an external image hosting site like picasa, flickr, or photobucket (all free) and then used the "Img" button available on the "Post a reply" screen. It's nice to see the picture either way.

Burns Harbor/Mississagi passing at Mighty Mack on 12/29

Unread post by Guest »

Nice view of Burns and Mississagi passing under the Bridge.
Attachments
resizedburns.jpg
resizedburns.jpg (21.86 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
resizedburns.jpg
resizedburns.jpg (21.86 KiB) Viewed 2352 times