Erie, Pa., layups

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Slip

Re: Erie, Pa., layups

Unread post by Slip »

Never thought that they might be cleaning holds. Could it take that much time to do? Eight or nine hours seems like an awfully long time. How do they do it.? Thanks in advance.
MilwBob

Unread post by MilwBob »

Slip wrote:Speer departed Conneaut, Ohio about 9:45 Monday morning, saw her leave Conneaut headed East to Erie. I expected her around 1:00 in afternoon. Never arrived in Erie till about !0:00 in the evening. Someone mentioned she had mechanical problems. I heard a marine radio transmission that said she was doing some cleaning . Can't figure that on out.
Maybe they were cleaning the holds.
Slip

Unread post by Slip »

Speer departed Conneaut, Ohio about 9:45 Monday morning, saw her leave Conneaut headed East to Erie. I expected her around 1:00 in afternoon. Never arrived in Erie till about !0:00 in the evening. Someone mentioned she had mechanical problems. I heard a marine radio transmission that said she was doing some cleaning . Can't figure that on out.
Jeff Benson

Unread post by Jeff Benson »

Went to await the Speer, saw the tug Manitou making tracks in the ice, but then she departed up lake. Came home and called the Great Lakes Fleet line. The Speer's ETA to Conneaut, Ohio was noon today (16th) with an ETA to Erie for lay up 01-17-2011 06:00
Hillbilly

Unread post by Hillbilly »

don't expect the speer until monday morning she is still trying to get tied up in Conneaut to unload.
Slip

Unread post by Slip »

Speer is to arrive in Erie at approximately Noon Sunday. She is supposed to have a private tug with her for icebreaking operations in Erie harbor to enable transit to her winter berth. Presque Isle still projected for Jan. 18th, and Callaway a few days later.
Slip

Unread post by Slip »

If your coming to Erie, all the layups are very close to each other. Almost next door to each other. Layup area in Erie bay, is very small, easily accessable. Just East of State St., which is main N.S., street.
torgy1962

Unread post by torgy1962 »

wlbblw wrote:the GE loco plant, a side trip to Long John Silver's,
-B in B
If you just want to go to LJS, you can save some driving and go to the one in Batavia!
torgy1962

Unread post by torgy1962 »

Slip

Unread post by Slip »

Speer arrival in Erie looks as if its moved to the 16th of January.
Slip

Unread post by Slip »

Beam of new barge (Seajon Enterprise) is going to be 78 ft.
wlbblw

Unread post by wlbblw »

Wow, I guess I shot that cofferdam last year & didn't even know what it was.

http://www.boatnerd.com/news/newsthumbs ... -10-BW.jpg

-B in B
tark9m

Unread post by tark9m »

Thanks Slip. I may try to make it down there on the 15th depending on the arrival estimates of her fleet mates. I work in the morning but suspect I could make an early afternoon arrival.
Slip

Unread post by Slip »

Speer projected to arrive on 15th, will be backed in at the dock East of Donjon drydock.
PI Mate

Unread post by PI Mate »

There is a cofferdam put in place when they need to access the prop shaft. See the old pics of the PI in Erie and you'll probably see it.
wlbblw

Unread post by wlbblw »

What cofferdam?

-B in B
Jeff Benson

Unread post by Jeff Benson »

The Presque Isle will at Mountfort Terminal in the main channel. She must be having problems with her shaft seals again. Today when we were at Presque Isle State Park the cofferdam for the tug has been lowered into the water from the dock where it was yesterday.

If the Calloway is in the slip between Don Jon and the library you will be able to drive up next to her and get some good pics. Don't know how the Speer will be in the East slip. The JS St. John is in bow first. The Speer usually comes in the harbor bow first and backs into the slip, as the turn to the right when coming out is very sharp, requires heavy use of the bow thruster and judicious use of the rudders as getting out of the channel lands you on sand and clay in very shallow water.
wlbblw

Unread post by wlbblw »

I was hoping that they dock the Speer in the slip bow first because last time it was the other way around & I got some nice shots there. I don't have many photos of the Calloway up close, so either way they dock it will be good for me on that one. The new tug is worth the trip alone, the other boats, the GE loco plant, a side trip to Long John Silver's, the Army/Navy outlet, & the fireworks/martial arts store make a nice bonus.

-B in B

Unread post by Guest »

Slip wrote:The barge being built for Boothe Sr. will be over 800 ft. long, w/ a total length of 913 ft. Its name will be Seajon Enterprise, so says Erieshipnews, mentioning that it got that info. f/ Donjon's fall 2010 newsletter.
Whats the beam on the barge going to be?