Sarah Spencer

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
sailor006

Re: Sarah Spencer

Unread post by sailor006 »

$50k wouldn't begin to cover a dry docking cost. it would hardly cover the shore power and services for a winter docking. Plus steel repairs, plus all the stern end work, overboards, anchors, etc. etc. etc.

Unread post by Guest »

I'm wondering if Lower Lakes would be interested in her. Probably too big to replace the Maumee on her runs, but they can always find other routes, such as they have done so well in the past.
Timerover51

Unread post by Timerover51 »

Dry docking a big ship is going to cost a minimum of $50,000 and goes up rapidly from there.
ashland69

Unread post by ashland69 »

guest wrote:It takes money to do the survey and all the required repair work to get the vessel back in class. From what I have heard the owners don't have the money available to have this done. Probably will be sold for scrapping once the scrap prices start rising.
Any idea how much the drydocking will cost for the Spencer and the amount of work necessary to bring the Spencer up to class?

Unread post by guest »

It takes money to do the survey and all the required repair work to get the vessel back in class. From what I have heard the owners don't have the money available to have this done. Probably will be sold for scrapping once the scrap prices start rising.
ashland69

Sarah Spencer

Unread post by ashland69 »

ABS certification has been suspended for Sarah Spencer for structural issues going back to, at least, 2009 and the vessel apparently cannot sail until she receives considerable structural work in her double bottom and wing ballast tanks in compliance with previous surveys and inspections. Her five-year is due in March 2011. If cargoes are available, why has she not been brought up to code? Is she finished or have her owners lost interest in shipping and they're just letting the Spencer rot away?!