Museum in Mentor

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Coffee2Go

Re: Museum in Mentor

Unread post by Coffee2Go »

Sorry guys. The docent at the museum is unaware of a ship light on display or in the building. She suggested I call Tuesday in case she was mistaken.
billf

Unread post by billf »

That would be awful nice of you. I am at waforsytheathotmaildotcom
Coffee2Go

Unread post by Coffee2Go »

I can stop tomorrow and check on the light. It's not too far from the house for me. If its on display, I'll take some shots if possible.

Bob H
Billf

Unread post by Billf »

Here is the website of the museums address: http://lakehistory.org/AboutUs/Home.htm
I'd like to find out if the light is on public display also. I plan to write them but if we double up maybe one or the other of us can get a response. I can be reached at waforsytheathotmaildotcom

Unread post by Guest »

Is the starboard light of the Western Reserve on display, and where? I am doing research on the Minch family including this light, but have been frustrated in finding its location. Could I have a street address and or phone number of a contact person? I do have some questions concerning this light additionally, and would it be possible to obtain a picture of it?
I can be contacted at hmrwicklundatattdotnet.
Billf

Unread post by Billf »

You've been alot of help. Thanks so much
In the book Wrecks and Rescues on the Great Lakes by William Ratigan, it says that Captain Peter Minch, the owner of the Western Reserve took his wife and two young kids on an excusion aboard her when she sank. Philip Minch, Peteres oldest son came to the wrecksite to identify his family, I assume there he acquired to "starboard light". In Philips older years he was the one that hung the light in a house he owned (possibly in Lawnfield, OH?) that he called the Starboard Light. He lit it every night in memory of his lost family. I don't know if it was Philip Minch that donated it, or his estate after his death.
Great Lakes Historical Society

Unread post by Great Lakes Historical Society »

Although both the Fairport Harbor Lighthouse Museum and the Ashtabula Coast Guard Memorial and Transportation Museum are fine institutions, neither institution is the owner of the Western Reserve artifact that you seek.

The owner of that artifact is the Lake County Historical Society which owns the Lake County History Center. Several years ago the facility was located in Kirtland Hills just above Mentor, Ohio and had a Mentor zip-code.

The Lake County Historical Society relocated their collection to a facility in Painsville, Ohio about two years ago.

Why does that organization have the Western Reserve artifact? Originally, the Lake County Historical Society was housed at Lawnfield, the Presidential home of James Garfield. I believe the artifact in question was housed at Lawnfield in the 1930's, and was featured in Ripley's Believe It or Not Comic Strip because the people at Lawnfield kept a light shining in the artifact in the window.

I am told the artifact made its way to people in the Mentor Ohio area because of the large number of ship captains who lived in that community. One of those captains reportedly donated it to the Lake County Historical Society way back in the 1930's.

Don't forget, for tax purposes, many steamship companies listed Mentor Ohio as theri corporate address for a brief number of years around 1905-1920. It may seem odd that the artifact is with this group, but rest assured the artifact is being well cared for. I know this because I served as Executive Director of this organization between 1998 and 2000.

I hope this helps.
Big Wave Dave

Unread post by Big Wave Dave »

I think that lantern is in the Ashtabula Maritime Museum. Nonetheless, a killer museum to tour. Fairport Harbors Museum is equally as awesome!

Unread post by Guest »

You probably mean the Fairport Museum. www.ncweb.com/org/fhlh/
billf

Museum in Mentor

Unread post by billf »

I was looking for the Museum in Mentor, Ohio that I was told houses the starboard light from the 1892 shipwreck of the Western Reserve.Does anyone also know the whereabouts of Dale Pohto