How much ice can a laker stand?

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Les Weston

Re: How much ice can a laker stand?

Unread post by Les Weston »

Thanks for all of the replies. Very informative.
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

During the Winter Navigation seasons in the late 70's is when ice lights became more popular. January - March posed some real problems as there were fewer ships out and the tracks would refreeze. We mainly used them in the rivers because the regular buoys were gone and it was crucial to stay in the channel especially in the broader parts of the lower St. Mary's River and Lake St. Clair. In many places you are either in the channel or aground. In places like the Straits of Mackinac, Whitefish Bay and Western lake Erie they were handy in helping us see the windrowed ice ahead of time and making course adjustments with reduced speed. Regular ice was rarely a problem for us as we had 10,000hp but a windrow from 5 - 10ft could really cause some damage if you hit it.
hayhugh

Unread post by hayhugh »

I remember being north bound on Lake Michigan in the early spring at night and the 2nd Mate grabbing the chadburn and ringing up full astern. He then called the Captain and told him that we had just run into ice. The next morning at breakfast, the Chief started to chew out the 2nd Mate about never doing that again as it could damage the engine. The Captain looked at the Chief and said that the engine would not be of much good siting on the bottom the lake. On all the boats I have been on there were never unnecessary lights on because it would ruin your night vision. It is also unlawful to run with other then navigation lights unless they are shielded so as not to blind another vessel.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:One that would be big enough to harm a ship would show up on radar. Otherwise you rely upon your lookouts to spot them. In known areas of ice we use searchlights and ice lights.
A piece of ice big enough to harm a ship can't be detected by radar. No need to go into clutter and the rest,just need to say that the lakers do not have ice class and are very likely to have ice damage when transiting in scattered ice at high speed. What you see of the ice above the surface is a small portion of the total ,most of it is under water.

Unread post by Guest »

look at pictures of the Ryerson and Sykes. They both have ice lights. They are mounted on either side of the steering pole.
pcolachap

Unread post by pcolachap »

Ice lights are lights mounted on the bull works at the bow to shine forward to see ice formations. I know in season's past the Ryerson used them. It seems they are more comon on vessels that have their pilot house forward. Mike
Les Weston

Unread post by Les Weston »

What are "ice lights"? Thats a new term for me>

Unread post by Guest »

One that would be big enough to harm a ship would show up on radar. Otherwise you rely upon your lookouts to spot them. In known areas of ice we use searchlights and ice lights.
GaryB

How much ice can a laker stand?

Unread post by GaryB »

I see lakers on Lake Huron and that at times, there are big chunks of ice floating in the lake, some as big as a truck. Question; at night, in open lake, how do lakers avoid ramming these? They seem very low to be picked up on radar but maybe not?