Mystery Ship ID 2.2.11

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
TWilush

Re: Mystery Ship ID 2.2.11

Unread post by TWilush »

The vessel on the right is the Millsop without a doubt.

The Steinbrenner vessel is a bit more difficult. There is a pretty good case for Kinsman Enterprise [1] and Henry Steinbrenner [3], both being nearly identical. It's not likely the McCurdy due to that vessel having a doghouse on the fantail by the time she was owned by Steinbrenner.

Other things to note, both the Enterprise's and Stenbrenner's masts were farther forward of the stack than the Independent's mast, which was either against the stack or only slightly ahead. The vessel in the post card's mast is far forward, and therefore it cannot be the Independent.
My earlier guess of the Independent was because I didn't think the vessel in the post card had a cowl on the top of the stack. (Something both of there other vessels did have) After some sharpening I've changed my mind.

If its between those two, Stenbrenner [3] and Enterprise [1], then the vessel is Steinbrenner, owing to the black sides on the hatch crane, a feature which according to my images only the Steinbrenner had.

Bottom Line:
Right: Henry Steinbrenner [3]
Left: Thomas E. Millsop [2]
CC

Unread post by CC »

No, and yes.
Don G

Unread post by Don G »

Do we think that Post Card 1. is the Kinsman Independent (1), Thomas E. Millsop (2)?
CC

Unread post by CC »

The Steinbrenner boat in #1 is either the second-to-last Kinsman Enterprise, the second-to-last Henry Steinbrenner, or the Merle M. McCurdy. CC
CC

Unread post by CC »

The Steinbrenner boat in #1 is either the second-to-last Kinsman Enterprise, the second-to-last Henry Steinbrenner, or the Merle M. McCurdy. CC
Don G

Unread post by Don G »

5 May be the Henry H. Rogers
TWilush

Unread post by TWilush »

firemedic351 wrote:I believe the vessel in postcard #5 is the Henry Phipps.
I agree, I erred in my previous post. The Schiller's name is too long for the one on the stern of the vessel in question, but most importantly, Schiller did not have one piece hatches or deck crane as the vessel in question does.

I'd say judging by the size of the name it is likely the Phipps or Henry H. Rogers, but could also be Peter A.B. Widener.
WA 4659

Unread post by WA 4659 »

The tug photos are at Rogers City (Port of Calcite). The inboard tug is the correctly identified as the Dolomite. The outboard tug, however, is the Frederick T. Kellers.
Brian J

Unread post by Brian J »

Bottom photo is of the tugs Dolomite and Limestone in the Frog Pond at Rogers City
firemedic351

Unread post by firemedic351 »

I believe the vessel in postcard #5 is the Henry Phipps.
TWilush

Unread post by TWilush »

Additions:
2. Lawrendoc (1)
5. William B. Schiller
TWilush

Unread post by TWilush »

So far,
1. Kinsman Independent (1), Thomas E. Millsop (2)
3. Harris N. Snyder
4. Leon Fraser
Randy S

Mystery Ship ID 2.2.11

Unread post by Randy S »

Bottom photo appears to be the tug Dolomite at Calcite/Rogers Ctiy. North dock is on the left and the tug is sitting in the Frog Pond.