Know Your Ships

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
SwankProtege

Re: Know Your Ships

Unread post by SwankProtege »

Thanks to all of you for the great information and for taking the trouble to provide it!

Unread post by Guest »

March 25 according to the Know Your Ships homepage.

Unread post by Guest »

It always comes out around April 1. Keep an eye on the home page or the Know Your Ships homepage as there is usually some type of announcement. They typically can be preordered a week or 2 ahead of time.
joe1

Unread post by joe1 »

when is this years coming out?

Unread post by Guest »

The 1960 edition (yellow cover) has the SS South American pictured on it.
Jim L.

Unread post by Guest »

Also not included above, I have a early 1966 with the South American and a late 1966 with the Benson Ford. My 1963 has the Edward L. Ryerson on it.
BigRiver

Re: Know Your Ships - from the current publisher

Unread post by BigRiver »

The 1960s are very confusing. Sometimes the same book (insides) had two different covers. Other times, if there were a lot of copies left over from a previous year, a new cover was slapped on with a new title page and date.

Here's the lowdown on different editions as far as I can tell by looking at my collection, and from what I can remember from when I was growing up hanging around Tom Manse.

1959- first edition.

1961 - To my knowledge, not published that year.

1963 - one cover says Know Your Ships, the other says The Soo Locks. Each has the Ernest R. Breech on the cover and are the same inside. However I also have a copy of the 1963 book which has the Soo Locks cover, but with Scott Misener on the cover.

The Soo Locks edition was to be sold specifically in the locks area. (In 1965, Tom Manse came out with a completely different book called The Soo Locks, which had no vessel listings, but lots of pictures and information about the Soo Locks and area. It was basically a tourist guide.)

1964 - Similar to 1963. The same photo of the Scott Misener as was used in 1963 is on the cover of both The Soo Locks and Know Your Ships. This insides are the same.

1965 - Know Your Ships has the Philip R Clarke on one cover and Saguenay on the other. The insides are the same. This was done to try and increase sales in Canada by having a Canadian boat on the cover.The Saguenay cover edition in very rare.

1968 - A.H. Ferbert on one cover, Sir Denys Lowson on the other. The insides are the same. Again, this was done to try and increase sales in Canada by having a Canadian boat on the cover. The Lowson cover edition in very rare.

1969 - Edward L. Ryerson on the cover. However I also have another book with the Ryerson on the cover that contains the 1968 book, with a wraparound on yellow paper saying it is the 1970 edition "updated." Yes, very confusing. I can only assume Tom Manse had a lot of old books left, so he put new covers on them and reduced the price.

1970 - there are two books. One cover has a saltie called Ioanna V on the cover, but the inside is just the 1969 book with a yellow sheet bound in containing listings updates (this sold for $1). Tom must have had a lot of copies of the 1969 book left over and didn't want them to go to waste.Then there was an actual 1970 book that was all new, with the Arthur B. Homer on the cover ($1.50).

1974 has the Stewart J. Cort on the cover, but another edition features the Duluth tour boat Vista Queen on the cover. This edition was done specifically for the Vista Fleet to sell on board their tour boats, and the first four pages of the book contain information on the Duluth area. Otherwise, both books are the same.

1975 - Two different covers, Ralph Misener and Ste. Claire. The Ste. Claire cover may have been done to sell the book aboard the BobLo boats. The insides are the same.

1978 - There are two covers for 1978, one with the Black Bay and the other with the Helen Evans. The Black Bay cover was done as a favor to Canada Steamship Lines and not too many were printed. The insides are the same.

After 1978, things settled down and there was only 1 book/cover each year.

As far as the edition numbering goes, I had never noticed that. Not having a 1961 edition probably messed things up as well.

Unread post by Guest »

I have a 1964 similar to what you describe. The front cover is a yellow/orange color with a picture of the Scott Misener. So I would say, yes, you have the 1964 issue which is the 6th edition.

For what it's worth, there are two different 1970 issues which is the 12th edition. The first has a picture of the Arthur B. Homer on the cover. The other has a picture of a saltie on the cover. I believe the name is Idonna V. Inside it says 12th edition-updated and in looking at it there are definitely different photos in it.
oldseadog

Unread post by oldseadog »

I have 2 1975 copies of KYS with different vessels on the cover, one is the Ralph Misener 2, the other 1975 cover is the Bob-Lo boat Ste Claire, everything inside is identical. Both are the 17th edition.

Unread post by Guest »

There is a link to Marine Publishing on the main page of Boatnerd and you can contact the publisher directly.
SwankProtege

Know Your Ships

Unread post by SwankProtege »

I have a few questions regarding the publication Know Your Ships that I hope someone will be able to help me with.

I have been collecting Know Your Ships for many years, purchasing most of the annual editions the year they were published. I am currently missing only the 1st edition, the 15th edition, and (with one possible exception) editions 3 through 7. I say "with one possible exception" because I am not certain about the 6th edition.

I do have a volume (purchased on the Internet) that, on the cover, has the title The Soo Locks. The Seaway Issue. At the bottom of the cover appears: "Listing of Vessels Passing Thru The American and Canadian Locks," phrasing normally associated with the Know Your Ships series. Inside, on the first page, is printed: "Copyright -- Thomas Manse -- 1964" under which appears "Sixth Edition." Later on this same page the title "Know Your Ships" appears.

(1) Could this be the 6th (1964) edition of Know Your Ships?

(2) If so, did some of the other editions between 1961 and 1965 (the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th editions) also have a title other than Know Your Ships and might it have been The Soo Locks. The Seaway Edition? (I am aware that Thomas Manse put out another publication that is titled Soo Locks on the cover and The Soo Locks on the first page. But this publication -- the one I have is listed as the 4th edition with a copyright of 1968 -- does not have the other wordage associated with Know Your Ships editions and its content is completely different, primarily text and photos focusing on the Soo, and no comprehensive listing of ships.)

(3) I have also noticed something curious about the sequence of edition and copyright year listings. I have noticed that the annual Know Your Ships publication for 1982 is listed as the 24th edition, the publication for 1983 is listed as the 25th edition, but the publication for 1984 is also listed as the 25th edition; the 1985 publication is listed as the 26th edition. Does this correspond to others’ records? And does this mean that all edition numbers after 1983 are actually lower by one than they should be?

Any light you can throw on these questions will be appreciated.

SwankProtégé