ferris marine

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Mac Mackay

Re: ferris marine

Unread post by Mac Mackay »

New Canadian regulations require that every powered vessel is to be registered (even outboard motor boats). Those under 15 gross tons are registered by number and their names are thus unofficial, making them impossible to trace by name. The Transport Canada web site lists small vessels in a seperate database, and uses the number only.
Many small tugs (whether commericial or pleasure) would fall into this category.
Since these vessels are required to display their registration number, it is important for shipwatchers to try to record that number. It is usually displayed on the bows and always takes the same form: CO1234BC where C stands for Canada, and the last two letters represent the province in which it is based.
Isaac

Unread post by Isaac »

J. D. Graham is now a pleasure boat, as far as I know, and doesn't appear in Transport Canada's listings. Norma B is American and hopefully it doesn't either.
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

Pleasure.
Mac Mackay

Unread post by Mac Mackay »

This tug does not appear in the Transport Canada List of Shipping under this name. She should be registered, but I can't find any trace of her. Is she still a commercial tug or has she become a pleasure craft?
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

Ferriss Marine still owns the Norma B, still documented at Detroit
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

The Magnetic was sold Canadian in around 2008 to an individual in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. Here is a photo of her at the Soo tug race summer 2010. Her original name of J.D. Graham has been restored. I believe the Norma is still in Detroit.
Attachments
DSC_1818.JPG
em ford

ferris marine

Unread post by em ford »

Just wondering if the former ferris marine tugs magnetic and Norma b are still around the lakes and if so what are they doing and where are they?