Wilfred Sykes Picture in Historical Perspectives

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Lou Gerard

Re: Wilfred Sykes Picture in Historical Perspectives

Unread post by Lou Gerard »

Thanks for the info on the Sykes photo. I figured it had to be taken when she was new because she looks new and she didn't normally run to Cleveland. Thanks again.
Norskellunge

Re: Wilfred Sykes Picture in Historical Perspectives

Unread post by Norskellunge »

I also noticed that she seems to be flying her christening flag - does this at all indicate the year? I know the Ryerson has recently done the same leaving and entering layup under the command of Capt. Treece. Is the flag displayed only at the captain's discretion or normally for important events/trips?
RTNerd

Wilfred Sykes Picture in Historical Perspectives

Unread post by RTNerd »

That picture was included in an American Ship Building Co. brochure published in 1958 anticipating all of the work that might result from the new St Lawrence Seaway. Caption reads "Leaving the Black River in Lorain on official trials, this vessel, The Wilfred Sykes, embodied more modern innovations than any ship built on the Great Lakes. It was the prototype of the 20,000-tonners." The picture in the brochure includes more of the upper background confirming the location. According to a SNAME paper on Designing and Building the Wilfred Sykes, trials were completed in late 1949.