upper lakes sold to algoma

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: upper lakes sold to algoma

Unread post by Guest »

With Algoma's naming style of newer ships, the "Canadian" ships could just see "Algoma" substituted.

Unread post by Guest »

I can't see Algoma keeping steam jobs for very long.... I am sure they've seen the surveys and know the profit potential of each hull they will have in the combined fleet....

This is a little sad, but given the complete shutdown of coal plants in Ontario by 2014 and other factors likely have reduced
need for some hulls....
Randy S

Unread post by Randy S »

Fort Street Bridge wrote:I also wonder about new names, paint jobs, etc. I don't think ULS painted any vessels this past winter. I wonder if Algoma is going to re-use a bunch of the names they've retired over the past decade: Algogulf, Algosound, Algostream, Algoville, etc. or if they're moving away from those kind of names now. Should be interesting to see how things shake out this summer.
If they are indeed to get new paint, I would imagine that it would occur as needed, instead of all at once, which would be a Huge expense. It took UPS 4 years to repaint all of their aircraft in the new livery when it was decided to change the paint scheme. It also took UPS almost 3 years to re-logo all of their trucks.
MichaelB

Unread post by MichaelB »

Fort Street Bridge wrote: And if no one wants the Norris, I image she'd fit right in with the Lower Lakes fleet so long as there are cargos for her to haul. After nearly 60 years wearing the black though, some gray with red pin stripe will be quite the different look!
That same thought occurred to me. Then I remembered when Algoma retired Agawa Canyon. I remember someone stating on the boards at that time that Algoma didn't want a competing interest picking up Canyon for routes they might run with other boats. If that held true then, it would follow it might hold true for the Norris as well.
Northup

Unread post by Northup »

What does this deal mean for the ships that have been retired like the Algontario, Algonorth, Algosteel, Canadian Miner, Canadian Ranger and others?
Fort Street Bridge

Unread post by Fort Street Bridge »

I also wonder about new names, paint jobs, etc. I don't think ULS painted any vessels this past winter. I wonder if Algoma is going to re-use a bunch of the names they've retired over the past decade: Algogulf, Algosound, Algostream, Algoville, etc. or if they're moving away from those kind of names now. Should be interesting to see how things shake out this summer.

And if no one wants the Norris, I image she'd fit right in with the Lower Lakes fleet so long as there are cargos for her to haul. After nearly 60 years wearing the black though, some gray with red pin stripe will be quite the different look!
JasB

Unread post by JasB »

According to the Transport Canada data base ULS is a part owner of Algobay and Algontario. Also, according to the same data base Algoma is a part owner of Canadian Ranger and James Norris. These would be the vessel interests being acquired in addition to the 11 that are wholly owned by ULS. The vessel that does not seem to be included is Canadian Miner.
J Kerwin

Unread post by J Kerwin »

I see several posts trying to figure out what ships are being sold to Algoma and how the numbers add up. Keep in mind that Upper Lakes and Algoma owned a few ships jointly. If you take that into consideration, you will find the numbers probably add up. Two examples of jointly owned ships are the Algobay and the Canadian Ranger.
hmcs

Unread post by hmcs »

With the sail of ULS to Algoma does this mean that the ships will wear the big bear and if so does that mean that the crews will change unions or what.
Herb

Unread post by Herb »

Yet another example of how difficult it is for a family business to survive through three generations. The need to raise capital when ownership gets spread out and younger family members have different interests make things very difficult over the generational transfer. Can't imagine Allied Marine and Port Weller will reamin in the corporate fold, wouldn't make sense due to the competition from Algoma's owned repair company Fraser Marine.
algowest

Unread post by algowest »

Press release says liquid bulk not part of the sale (McAsphalt). Press release totals 15 ships (9 s-u's and 6 bulkers) + new Canadian Mariner to be delivered this July).
oldseadog

Unread post by oldseadog »

What about McAshphalt, are they owned by U L G or just operated by them all the Big barges and the tugs, both for Mcashphalt and Division Grande Lac Ltee, or is this only between Algoma to purchase S M T from Upper Lakes Group
visitor

Unread post by visitor »

This is not just big.it is huge.
Will ACM now go head to head with CSL?

Unread post by Guest »

TWilush wrote:I don't believe the Norris was included due to its ownership.Canadian Ranger and Canadian Miner I'm guessing were also not included because both have been retired.

I think the Canadian Transfer was not included, she was not due to sail this year
TWilush

Unread post by TWilush »

I don't believe the Norris was included due to its ownership.Canadian Ranger and Canadian Miner I'm guessing were also not included because both have been retired.
MichaelB

Unread post by MichaelB »

Guest wrote:The news release says 11 vessels, including seven self-unloaders and four straight-deckers. ULS has eight self-unloaders, though, the Enterprise, Navigator, Olympic, Progress, Transfer, Transport, Norris and John D. Leitch. Was this a typo or is one of these vessels not included in the transaction?
I'm very curious too. I see 14 boats listed but only 11 sold, so where are the others going? I'm also wondering what is happening to the MarineLink and Provmar Fuels. Are they up for sale as well?

Unread post by Guest »

Wonder what this means for James Norris, since she is the grand dame of the Canadian side and Algoma has already been purging older ships from its own fleet.
wheelman

Unread post by wheelman »

wow this big. maybe back about 10yrs.one off the mates said to me that Algoma will own it one day.
wlbblw

Vacation

Unread post by wlbblw »

What would the company do in that case where they couldn't find anyone, offer a big pile of money to not take a vaction?

Also, I wonder how they will structure the company with the added ships and I wonder if they intened to rename/repaint them all.

-B in B

Unread post by Guest »

The news release says 11 vessels, including seven self-unloaders and four straight-deckers. ULS has eight self-unloaders, though, the Enterprise, Navigator, Olympic, Progress, Transfer, Transport, Norris and John D. Leitch. Was this a typo or is one of these vessels not included in the transaction?