Sturgeon Bay Activity

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
david44

Re: Sturgeon Bay Activity

Unread post by david44 »

I thought United Steelworkers of America Local 5000 was striking contract concessions they didn't like from American Steamship?
mmc

Unread post by mmc »

I was at the ship yard last weekend. The Anderson is in for her 5 year inspection and the Sykes will be in the yard a week or 2 later then scheduled, she is having some metal work done one her balast tanks and holding tanks.

Unread post by Guest »

The Block is departing via the ship canal as of 1700 CDT. It's due in Esky tomorrow at approximately 0400 so I have been told.
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

The "Ville" is Belleville, Mich., where his mom lives. They Sykes isn't due out just yet, but soon.
Bob+

Unread post by Bob+ »

The Block is suppose to leave on march 8th,

Unread post by Guest »

He didn't use the word "they" and I don't think it involves taking his boat. I wouldn't be surprised if the Block left for Esky next week and the Sykes maybe a week later. The Great Lakes Trader was supposed to load there today by the way.
schipper

Unread post by schipper »

At about 4:30 PM E.T. posted on Facebook that they were going to leave for The Ville at about 6:30 PM EST.
bhale849

Unread post by bhale849 »

American Steamship Is union. Its unlicenced men are represented by the S.I.U. (Seamens International Union). When it bought the former Oglebay Norton ships. they got ships whose unlicensed men were members of a different union - Local 5000 of the United Steelworkers. Three former ON ships are at Sturgeon Bay Their unlicensed men were USWA Local 5000. ASC wants them to drop the Steelworkers' membership & join the SIU. Many of them don't want to join the SIU. Thus the informational picketing by Local 5000.

Unread post by Guest »

the sykes is posting now too. typically the sykes and the block are some of the first boats out and some of the last to lay up. so it wouldnt surprise me if the are getting ready to sail already
Norskellunge

Unread post by Norskellunge »

Noticed the Block is making weather reports. Is she getting ready to sail?
LisaIL

Unread post by LisaIL »

Do you know what the AMA is having done to her? And also what is an informational picketline, is American Steamship not union? Can you explain to me what this means? Thank you for answering.
Bob+

Sturgeon Bay Activity

Unread post by Bob+ »

Last week the Indiana Harbor was removed from the graving dock and Arthur Anderson was towed into the dock. Also an informational picket line have been set up outside of Bay Ship against American Steamship.