Vessel Identification from 1986

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Mac Mackay

Re: Vessel Identification from 1986

Unread post by Mac Mackay »

Built in 1937 by George T. Davie & Sons in Lauzon, Quebec (Hull No.5) as Kermic for Quebec Paper Sales & Transportation. Ran between Donnacona, Quebec and New York via the Richelieu River and Lake Champlain, etc., with newsprint southbound and freight northbound. There were also two sisters, Donpaco and Newscarrier.
Domtar took over ownership in 1971 but the service was discontinued.
Sold shortly afterwards to Verreault Navigation of Méchins, Quebec. All three rebuilt at their shipyard as bottom dumping spoil carriers for their dredging fleet. Donpaco became I.V. No.11, Newscarrier became I.V. No.13, and Kermic became I.V. No.14.
Verreault also rebuilt two other similar boats in 1969. A.C.D.. became I.V.No.9 and G.T.D. became I.V.No.10.
The letters I.V. stand for Irenée Verreault, the founder of the company.
Verreault does not need tugs when doing clamshell dredging work, as these boats can go to the dump site on their own. They can also tow the dredge and reposition it.
All are still operational, but there has not been a lot of work for them in recent years.

Re: Vessel Identification from 1986

Unread post by Guest »

Also, a search on the Bowling Green Site for I.V. No. 14 brought up the vessel originally known as the Kermic with the same registration number. http://ul.bgsu.edu/cgi-bin/xvsl2.cgi
Chris Wilson

Vessel Identification from 1986

Unread post by Chris Wilson »

I took a photo of a small vessel in Goderich back in 1986, and I have not been able to identify this ship. Any ideas? What became of it as well?
Attachments
Vessel_in_Goderich86_2.jpg