vessel identification: Laker or Salty?

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
fireman12

Re: vessel identification: Laker or Salty?

Unread post by fireman12 »

This is an older picture of the Quebecois . After an extensive search through my files , the Quebecois had her stack whistles - on the port side of the stack , painted white , whereas the Montrealais did not , Her whistles were just black and red . The added structure on the Quebecois was in fact to house the Emergency Generator , as the one already installed when she was built was rated insufficient to updated safety requirements . This was done in the late `70s .

Just an added note , these really nice steam jobs , which were built by Vickers in Montreal in the early `60s , may be gone soon as well . Algoma had their sister ships , the Algosound ( V.W. Scully ) , Algogulf ( J.N. McWatters ) and Algoriver ( John A. France ) . The only other steam job that can compare to these 5 is the Edward L. Ryerson . The Engine Room design is quite similiar and the quarters are top notch . I sailed on 2 of these jobs , I regret leaving them to this day , but I was only an oiler .

So all you boat watchers get your cameras ready , these really classic 2 steam jobs are the last of the best ever built in Canada .
glsailor wrote:If this is a recent photo its the Montrealais. The Quebecois has "added structure fwd of the stack". (I dont know the date the structure was added.) If its an older photo its any ones guess between the two. Bottom line its a ULS Laker.
glsailor

Unread post by glsailor »

If this is a recent photo its the Montrealais. The Quebecois has "added structure fwd of the stack". (I dont know the date the structure was added.) If its an older photo its any ones guess between the two. Bottom line its a ULS Laker.
Jon363

Unread post by Jon363 »

The Foreign Ship Data & Photo gallery under Photo galleries on this site is really good for that.
JM

Unread post by JM »

If you go to the home page of boatnerd, click on photo galleries and there is a section for saltwater vessels. That is a very good resource of the usual salties that visit the lakes.
Timerover51

Unread post by Timerover51 »

greatlakestm wrote:Thank you, much appreciated.

Can anyone recommend good/reliable resources to find images of a salty in the Great Lakes region?
I would take a look at the shiphotos.com website run by Paul Beesley. He is an excellent photographer, and covers the ships going through the Welland Canal and Locks.

Unread post by Guest »

have you tried looking at the foreign ship photo gallery accessed off the main page?
greatlakestm

Unread post by greatlakestm »

Thank you, much appreciated.

Can anyone recommend good/reliable resources to find images of a salty in the Great Lakes region?
Chris M

Unread post by Chris M »

Laker. Looks like the Quebecois but it could be the Montrealais
MuskegonMan

Unread post by MuskegonMan »

Thats a laker
GLMC

Unread post by GLMC »

It's a ULS laker. Maybe the Quebecois or Montrealais
greatlakestm

Unread post by greatlakestm »

Can any please tell me if this photo is of a laker or a salty? It says it is in the St. Lawrence Seaway. Thoughts?
Attachments
resized.jpg