Saginaw Bay

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
CaptainCrunch

Re: Saginaw Bay

Unread post by CaptainCrunch »

So sorry to hear of your loss! I'll be glad to take you out on the bay! I'll send you an email. M
Dan

Re: Saginaw Bay ashes disposition

Unread post by Dan »

The "official" word is that you need to be 3 miles from the nearest shore to spread the ashes. The Coast Guard will likely not help you, but the Coast Guard Auxilliary might be willing. I know that they have done so in other locations, but they are bound by the 3-mile rule. Otherwise, some other method might be simpler and cheaper - the Charity Island cruise or the boats out of Bay City (talk to the Captain ahead of time), or even a fishing charter boat.
Wes Oleszewski

Unread post by Wes Oleszewski »

Sorry for your loss- you may want to simply go down to Jame Clements airport on a Saturday and start asking around- you'll probably find one of the local pilots willing to help you
Angie

Unread post by Angie »

Hey Beecher, please accept my condolences on the passing of your dad. Having lost my mom back in 2004, I know it’s not easy. You’re in my heart & thoughts.

As for scattering his ashes, try this website. http://www.continuing-journey.com/ They scatter ashes on the Great Lakes via airplane. I don’t know their costs, but the important thing is they will know what the laws are & likely are the best ones to help you with this process.
Andy S

Unread post by Andy S »

Sorry to hear about your loss Beecher, it is never easy. Two very good friends of mine had their ashes spread on the St. Mary's river. No USCG called or involved just done by family members. Once again sorry for your loss.

Unread post by Guest »

I'm sorry for your loss.
May your father R.I.P.
Violet

Unread post by Violet »

Dear Beecher, I am sorry to hear about your dad dying. As for his remains, you could take the lighthouse cruise out to Charity Island and do it yourself along the way: http://www.charityisland.net/ Or, if you have a pleasure or fishing boat, you could launch it at the boat launch at the mouth of the Saginaw River where it heads out to Saginaw Bay. When my sister died five years ago, she wanted her ashes spread in Alaska! This was taken care of for me by the funeral home, because one of the owners lived in Alaska and happened to be here visiting, so she took care of it all for me in Hatcher's Pass, Alaska. Your dad picked a beautiful resting place, Beecher! You and your family remain in my prayers during this sad time.
Les Weston

Unread post by Les Weston »

Sorry to hear about your loss, Beecher. Please accept our sincere condolence
Shirley

Unread post by Shirley »

So sorry to hear about your dad, Beecher. It's always hard losing a loved one, but especially one's parents. May God comfort you and your family at this very sad time. I hope things work out for you in fulfilling your dad's wishes. Heartfelt regards. shirley
Beecher

Saginaw Bay

Unread post by Beecher »

My dad just passed. His wishes included spreading his ashes over the Saginaw Bay. Sometime this summer I need to facilitate that task. Do you think the USCG is approachable for assisting with this task? I know some high ranking officials but don't know their stance on this subject. I am sure they have been asked many times before. Has anyone else here been down this road before me? TIA :(