Port of Rochester

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
wlbblw

Re: Port of Rochester

Unread post by wlbblw »

That's ok, I've heard ships called all sorts of crazy things when I'm out taking pictures. To some people every thing they see is either a "tanker", a "barge", or a "Battleship"...

Unread post by Guest »

Most of the vessels that hide out in the "Rochester lee" usually end up closer to the entrance to Irondequoit Bay than the actual Port of Rochester at the mouth of the Genesee River, as that offers more protection as it puts them further south in the the shoreline dip that occurs there.

The Hon. Paul J Martin's track can be seen here:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/ho ... A00/zoom:9

While obviously not unheard of, seaway max vessels are still a rarity that close to the south Ontario shore, and for some reason many people think that any big cargo ship that doesn't have containers stacked on deck must be a tanker of some sort (don't know where they think grain, ore & stone come from, or how they get there).
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

Despite the Buffalo News saying that it was an "oil freighter", yes it was the Rt Hon Paul J Martin that was thought to have run aground. She has been anchored off Rochester since 15:00 (according to the Seaway Map site).

Steve

Unread post by guest »

Seems to me that with the regular vessels visiting Rochester and those over the past decades would be so much smaller than the maximum Seaway-sized self unloading bulk carrier Hon. Paul J. Martin that locals should know she would never be able to get any nearer the harbour and in fact; due to severe weather predictions and experiences over the past 48 hours was one of many vessels seeking shelter from the weather. Vessels often hug the shoreline in adverse weather to lessen the pounding they would experience if out in the middle of the lake in the full force of a gale ... hope this helps to explain here close prximity to shore.
wlbblw

Unread post by wlbblw »

Inbound, or just hiding out?

Unread post by Guest »

I wonder if it's the same ship that was reported as being close to the south Ontario shore near Barker earlier today:

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/ ... r-20141118
High-Test

Port of Rochester

Unread post by High-Test »

Canada Steamship Lines, Hon. Paul J Martin - now sitting just off the entry to the port of Rochester.