Exterior Deck Covering Question

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
fitz301

Re: Exterior Deck Covering Question

Post by fitz301 »

Thanks all for your help.

I do have another request if possible, does anyone have any decent pics of the Fitz's or Fitz-style lifeboat davits?

All the pics I've seen are either too dark, too small to zoom in on detail without pixelating, or from to far away to even see detail.

Any other detail pics of winches, vents, railings, or just the same type equipment used on the Fitz including pipes and electrical junction boxes, and misc. fixtures would be appreciated. Any pic anybody can spare will help.

TIA! fitz301

Post by Guest »

fitz301 wrote:Hi all,

I'm working on a 3d model of the Fitz and am trying to find info on what the exterior decks were covered with?

In photos there appears to be seam lines in the decks, are these some kind of rubberlike decking and then painted? If so, where can I find more info on this material?

TIA
fitz301
Probably the seam lines you are seeing are welds. Decks would have been painted with an oil-based glossy paint, possibly Sherwin Williams. We called it "red deck." the walkways would have been painted with non-skid paint.

Post by Guest »

The outside decks are just plain painted steel. There is usually a non-skid additive added to the paint so it's not so slippery when wet. The seams you're seeing are welds where the deck plating is welded together.
fitz301

Exterior Deck Covering Question

Post by fitz301 »

Hi all,

I'm working on a 3d model of the Fitz and am trying to find info on what the exterior decks were covered with?

In photos there appears to be seam lines in the decks, are these some kind of rubberlike decking and then painted? If so, where can I find more info on this material?

TIA
fitz301